Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

ability; skill; trait; characteristic; quality
adamant
society
capability
awareness
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
A regular show? | How to ask a question?
listening exercises
Difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet? #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 04, 2009 0:40 am   Difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #582 "English Slang Idioms (324)", question 6

"Would you like to go to the amusement park on Saturday, Tommy?" his dad asked him. Tommy replied, "You .........! I would love to go! That will be so much fun!"

(a) wager
(b) gamble
(c) bet
(d) barter

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #582 "English Slang Idioms (324)", answer 6

"Would you like to go to the amusement park on Saturday, Tommy?" his dad asked him. Tommy replied, "You bet! I would love to go! That will be so much fun!"

Correct answer: (c) bet

Aside from this example, is there any difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet? Are there otehr examples where one but not the other can be used appropriately?

Margon
Margon

Difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet? #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:07 am   Difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet?

The meanings are the same. I don't know offhand, but there are likely more collocations for one or the other. 'Wager' is more formal.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet? #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 28, 2009 23:28 pm   Difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet?

Then why is the 'Wire Act' titled “Sporting Events- Transmission of Bets, Wagers, and Related Information” ?
Does this suggest that they DO have some different meaning?
Or they just included both words in the title so that no-one will read the title and assume that the bill is not related to the omitted word?...
Dan White

Difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet? #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 29, 2009 0:34 am   Difference in meaning between 'wager' and 'bet?

Yes, it is a legal thing: overkill.

A regular show? | How to ask a question?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does in the hour mean?What does mortgage and pre-approved mean?What does bounsed a check and NSF mean?Application of Financial Management in the business environment of Pakistan?what is butcher?'On hand' = 'in stock'"possibly" vs "probably"Meaning of "wrappin one's head around of something"What does 'in general' mean?Who is the first person engage in entrepreneurship?What will happen to the bond's price and to its yield to maturity?What does the "Q" stand for in "John Q. Public"?I marked teeth but button shows another answer,...