suitable; appropriate; intelligent; savvy; capable
apt
departmental
obligatory
placid

Meaning of "You never did"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Difference between turn and turning | testing times vs. testable times
Meaning of "You never did" #16 (permalink) Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:47 am   Meaning of "You never did"

Hi all,
My name is Wie Wie. I'm an Indonesian and I have learned English for 7-8 years, but I still do need you correction if my grammar or the usage of word is still wrong.
Okay, that's a little bit of the introduction.

I have a question (mm, actually it's not a question I guess, I just cannot get another word beside "question' to describe my feeling)
I'm confused by what has happened between Jill and Frank, whether they were angry with each other or there were nothing happened with them (Jill was just telling Frank an information about her new job).
For the question, I answered "you always did!" because I think Frank was just surprised, but if the correct answer is "you never did!", I catch the sense of anger between them.
But, I'm still confused.

Can anyone help me, please?
:)

Very best regards,
Wie Wie
WonkaWieWie

Location: Indonesia

You never did #17 (permalink) Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:40 am   You never did

Hello dear team!
You have indicated that correct answer is: " You never did". But imprecise context gives us the possibility that the man might have thought just the opposite: you always did, which corresponds in sense and grammatical.So the thing is context if I'm not mistaken. Do you agree?
Zerade
Zerade

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "You never did" #18 (permalink) Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:58 am   Meaning of "You never did"

'You always did' wouldn't make sense because we are not talking about something that Jill 'did' repeatedly because she got the job on one occasion. Frank's comment: You never did, is a mixture of doubt and surprise and that is why it is expressed in the negative.

Look at this:

A Have you heard about my recent good fortune?

B No, tell me about it.

A Well. I've just heard that I have won the lottery.

B That's surely not possible - you never have!
_________________

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Meaning of 'most out of'?Why use "all of the flowers" instead of "all the flowers"?"bear with" versus "stay with"Expression: Would you mind if"work out" vs. "find out"Meaning of grantingWhy won and not ended?Meaning of "I almost drowned"Want to find out who drove the red carMeaning of "You never did"Difference between dialect and accentWhat does this phrasal verb mean: "Make it up"?Beginning of the end?