Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

schedule; agenda; written order of events
program
creativity
still
trust
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school?

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Questions in a restaurant/at a store (2) | There is and there are...
listening exercises
Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school? #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:03 am   Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school?

Hello, Alan,
Would you please tell me which of the following sentences is right?

1. A teacher goes to school.
2. A teacher goes to the school.

Thanks
Cinderella_Sz
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school? #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:51 am   Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school?

请告诉我好吗
Cinderella_Sz

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school? #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:02 am   Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school?

Please write in English!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school? #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 16, 2009 16:47 pm   Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school?

This is just a guess. I’m not a teacher.
''Goes to school" - unspecified school. It doesn't matter which school the teacher attends. In "My kids go to school every day" it's implicit and sufficiently clear that I'm talking about the elementary school.
"Goes to the school" - a specification about the school is needed. For example, "...to the school of arts". That would be fine, though, if the kind of school had already been mentioned in the text.
Subway

Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school? #5 (permalink) Tue May 26, 2009 9:31 am   Should we say a teacher goes to school or goes to the school?

Sorry, the Chinese means “Would you please tell me the answer?"

And thanks a lot, Subway.
Cinderella_Sz

Questions in a restaurant/at a store (2) | There is and there are...
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
business vs industryMeaning of the word customizeextraordinary vs extra ordinaryHow I can understand run and make idiomsWhen to use on, in, and at when writing English?Could I say 'work report'?how many strokesDifference between to you, for you, for me, to me?Sentence: Motivation to wrok is created by the satisfaction of the individual'sWhat is the meaning of parasise?I will attend an English course?Look for in 'Can you help me look for my keys?'difference "at me" and "to me"