Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to consent; to concur; to suit; to have the same opinion; to fit
agree
fertilize
amount
lesson
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Warmest season vs. hottest season

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What's the difference between escape and evade? | "Earlier XYZ&Co." or "Formerly XYZ&Co."
listening exercises
Warmest season vs. hottest season #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 16, 2009 14:54 pm   Warmest season vs. hottest season

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #119 "Weather Test (6)", question 4

In North America, the warmest season of the year is usually the ..........

(a) spring
(b) summer
(c) fall

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #119 "Weather Test (6)", answer 4

In North America, the warmest season of the year is usually the summer.

Correct answer: (b) summer

warmest or hottest
Hotty

Warmest season vs. hottest season #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 16, 2009 19:46 pm   Warmest season vs. hottest season

Google "hottest season" and read why 'hottest' isn't appropriate here. But, I still have doubts as dictionary doesn't speak against the use of 'hottest' here.

Natives, please help.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Warmest season vs. hottest season #3 (permalink) Sun Dec 27, 2009 15:32 pm   Warmest season vs. hottest season

I think 'warm' is used objectively to talk about a fact. 'Hot', on the other hand, would possibly be considered more subjective here and therefore not preferable.
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

What's the difference between escape and evade? | "Earlier XYZ&Co." or "Formerly XYZ&Co."
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Sentence: Sunglasses protect your eyes against the sun's (direct) harsh blaze...decay vs. rotWhat is the difference between before and in front of?Why doesn't the answer "do dancing"?It could be "I think I just want to stay at home this weekend"?Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles?Usage of air conditionersWhat does Landmarks mean?You can't miss it because it is enormous. vs You can't avoid it because it is...haven't forgotten -- present perfectWhy 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.Why did Timothy draw a picture for his mother?'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym'