rectangular traveling bag; valise
suitcase
appointment
formula
ignorance

Difference between shut and close

Meaning of abbreviated | Difference between abject and deject
Difference between shut and close #1 (permalink) Sat May 28, 2005 13:27 pm   Difference between shut and close

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", question 5

In view of the limited amount of information and evidence the case was now considered to be ..........

(a) closing
(b) closed
(c) shutting
(d) shut

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", answer 5

In view of the limited amount of information and evidence the case was now considered to be closed.

Correct answer: (b) closed

In view of the limited amount of information and evidence the case was now considered to be shut.
_________________________

Why shouldn't shut be used?
Jacheline

Difference between shut and close #2 (permalink) Sat May 28, 2005 20:29 pm   Difference between shut and close

Shut would be used for doors/gates and so on suggesting a mechanical/literal process.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
You could hear the sound of great activityThe black sheep of the familyAnyone who arrived after that timeShe has been lyingHe intended to fly across the channelDifference between have told and have been toldDifference between liberty and freedomDifference between impervious and impenetrableMeaning of 'skywards'Difference between imply and inferIf you choose to take that step in your careerMeaning of 'disentangle'Difference between to aim at and to target