to control; to rule; to command
dominate
build
voice
connote

Difference between impervious and impenetrable

Difference between abject and deject | Difference between liberty and freedom
Difference between impervious and impenetrable #1 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2005 9:24 am   Difference between impervious and impenetrable

Test No. incompl/advan-88 "GMAT Verbal Quiz (11)", question 4

Fortunately she took no notice of the reviews of her acting and was quite ......... to some of the more sarcastic comments.

(a) important
(b) impenetrable
(c) immediate
(d) impervious

Test No. incompl/advan-88 "GMAT Verbal Quiz (11)", answer 4

Fortunately she took no notice of the reviews of her acting and was quite impervious to some of the more sarcastic comments.

Correct answer: (d) impervious

Fortunately she took no notice of the reviews of her acting and was quite impenetrable to some of the more sarcastic comments.
_________________________

I don't understand the difference between "impervious" and "impenetrable". Could you cite a few examples?

Difference between impervious and impenetrable #2 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2005 10:51 am   Difference between impervious and impenetrable

Impervious to in this sentence means not affected by/not sensitive to and is used in a figurative sense in a passive way. Impenetrable means that you cannot penetrate it such as very thick rock/stone and is therefore used in an active way.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between 'funnier' and 'more fun'Meaning of 'hot line'You could hear the sound of great activityThe black sheep of the familyAnyone who arrived after that timeShe has been lyingHe intended to fly across the channelDifference between have told and have been toldMeaning of abbreviatedDifference between shut and closeMeaning of 'skywards'Difference between imply and inferIf you choose to take that step in your career