to calculate; to think; to assume; to portray; to depict; to express verbally
pretense
enthuse
figure
commit

Difference between liberty and freedom

Difference between impervious and impenetrable | Difference between have told and have been told
Difference between liberty and freedom #1 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2005 11:04 am   Difference between liberty and freedom

Test No. incompl/advan-30 "Letter Writing (2)", question 9

After all why should you two continue to be free and I have to give up my .........?

(a) latitude
(b) liberty
(c) scope
(d) immunity

Test No. incompl/advan-30 "Letter Writing (2)", answer 9

After all why should you two continue to be free and I have to give up my liberty?

Correct answer: (b) liberty
_________________________

Dear Alan:
Can you do me a favour explain the differences between these words? As what I know, they are all have the same meaning as "Freedom", but why we must use liberty here but not the another one?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kelly

Words #2 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2005 11:26 am   Words

a) latitude
(b) liberty
(c) scope
(d) immunity

Hi Kelly,

(a) means freedom in the sense of being able to do many things without being stopped
(b) means pure and simple freedom
(c) means freedom in the sense of the wide range of possibilities at your disposal
(d) means freedom from either disease or rules and regulations as in diplomatic immunity
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'petty cash'Difference between 'funnier' and 'more fun'Meaning of 'hot line'You could hear the sound of great activityThe black sheep of the familyAnyone who arrived after that timeShe has been lyingHe intended to fly across the channelMeaning of abbreviatedDifference between abject and dejectDifference between shut and closeMeaning of 'skywards'Difference between imply and infer