Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to throw away; to get rid of
depart
obtain
confirm
discard
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Painting on the wall OF the kitchen. vs Painting on the wall IN the kitchen.

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Sentence: One type of caterpillar has been compared to a mushroom omelet... | Were or was (when I was in high school or when I were in high school)
listening exercises
Painting on the wall OF the kitchen. vs Painting on the wall IN the kitchen. #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 am   Painting on the wall OF the kitchen. vs Painting on the wall IN the kitchen.

Dear teachers,

Which is the correct formation?

1. Painting on the wall OF the kitchen

2. Painting on the wall IN the kitchen

Many thanks
Kreta
Kreta

Painting on the wall OF the kitchen. vs Painting on the wall IN the kitchen. #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 22, 2009 19:36 pm   Painting on the wall OF the kitchen. vs Painting on the wall IN the kitchen.

I am not a teacher but I think both formations are correct grammatically. It is the context we need to favour one over the other.

Off course, 'painting' is the thing under discussion and the rest of the clause talks about the placement. 'Painting on the wall OF the kitchen' emphasises on the 'wall' whereas 'Painting on the wall IN the kitchen' emphasises on the 'kitchen'.

Natives, please help :)

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Painting on the wall OF the kitchen. vs Painting on the wall IN the kitchen. #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:35 am   Painting on the wall OF the kitchen. vs Painting on the wall IN the kitchen.

Both seem fine to me, and synonymous. I see no difference in emphasis.

Sentence: One type of caterpillar has been compared to a mushroom omelet... | Were or was (when I was in high school or when I were in high school)
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Darrow, and his board game, needs revision"don't"or "doesn't"were/was/ammust vs shouldUsage of gerund and participleWhy aren't you at class or why aren't you in class?What is the plural form of formula?use of in and at (May I have the honor to apply in/at Silway)I have not umbrella. or I have no umbrella.go at vs go forSentence: For example, thousands of edible termites can be raised in a 6-foot..."stuck to death" or "shot to death" in this context?future perfect and continuous