inner; inside; inland; of a country's domestic affairs; of an individual's inner life
interior
inbound
resolute
glossy

Meaning of the word "prowling"

what is the meaning of scandal and parapet? | Is it compulsory to place "with" after meet?
Meaning of the word "prowling" #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:17 am   Meaning of the word "prowling"

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Synonyms for wander", question 6

Ann didn't want to leave the house as she was afraid that thieves were ......... in the dark.

(a) walking
(b) strolling
(c) prowling
(d) ranging

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Synonyms for wander", answer 6

Ann didn't want to leave the house as she was afraid that thieves were prowling in the dark.

Correct answer: (c) prowling

Ann didn't want to leave the house as she was afraid that thieves were walking in the dark.
_________________________

i don't know the meaning of the word "prowling" in this sentence. please explain more clearly 4 me. thx in advanced
An
Dongocan

Meaning of the word "prowling" #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 22, 2009 19:41 pm   Meaning of the word "prowling"

Dictionary says -

Prowling - To roam through stealthily, as in search of prey or plunder

Grammar book says -

I don't know the meaning of the word "prowling" in this sentence. Please explain more clearly for me.

Thanks in advance.
An

:)
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
A loving and appropriate epitaph?Have the final say over everything?how to choose the right answer?Expression: 'Crack over'proffer vs. offerWhat does implement mean?What does "motions" mean in this sentence?I have a virus my laptop. vs I have a virus in my laptop.Use 'He just took the money and ran away'What does derived mean?What does 'he bottled it'?empowerment vs advantageUsage of thought, mind, issue, say