movement made by lifting the foot and setting it down in another place; stair; stage in a process
apartment
language
step
testimonial

what is the meaning of scandal and parapet?

proffer vs. offer | Meaning of the word "prowling"
what is the meaning of scandal and parapet? #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 22, 2009 14:08 pm   what is the meaning of scandal and parapet?

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #6 "Privacy", question 9

After the political scandal in the government no-one in the cabinet is prepared to put their head above the parapet.

(a) show their head
(b) raise their head
(c) speak in public
(d) speak in the air

ESL/EFL Test #6 "Privacy", answer 9

After the political scandal in the government no-one in the cabinet is prepared to speak in public.

Correct answer: (c) speak in public
_________________________

Tiony
Tiony

what is the meaning of scandal and parapet? #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 22, 2009 19:20 pm   what is the meaning of scandal and parapet?

Dictionary says -

Scandal - A disgraceful event
Parapet - Fortification consisting of a low wall

People in the cabinet were so embarrassed that they felt uncomfortable to speak in public, or idiomatically, to put their head above the parapet.
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
A loving and appropriate epitaph?Have the final say over everything?how to choose the right answer?Expression: 'Crack over'What does implement mean?What does "motions" mean in this sentence?I have a virus my laptop. vs I have a virus in my laptop.Use 'He just took the money and ran away'What does derived mean?What does 'he bottled it'?Is it compulsory to place "with" after meet?empowerment vs advantageUsage of thought, mind, issue, say