state of intellectual or spiritual awareness
above
enlightenment
pressure
visitor

Origin of the idiom 'no cigar'?

the letter of the law? | Meaning of deck
Origin of the idiom 'no cigar'? #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:42 am   Origin of the idiom 'no cigar'?

I obviously still don't understand the concepts we've been discussing in class. Every time I answer the teacher's questions, she says "Close, but no .........."

(a) cigar
(b) coupon
(c) prize
(d) purpose

I obviously still don't understand the concepts we've been discussing in class. Every time I answer the teacher's questions, she says "Close, but no cigar."

Correct answer: (a) cigar
_________________________

I fail to understand why Cigar is the answer to this question. How did this Idiom originate ?
Veeresh.

Origin of the idiom 'no cigar'? #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:57 am   Origin of the idiom 'no cigar'?

.
A cigar was a common prize for winning a small event or competition, as at a carnival.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Usage of "A premature overabundance""market research" to Georgianwhat does the word toddler mean?Phrase: Can you buy my some Vanilla ice cream?What does the "push the envelope" mean?What 'violent' in Vietnames mean?what does acommodation mean?freeze vs frostExpression: He is really gutsyThe crossover point is that production quantity where...what does 'bite his hand off' meanmillionaire vs. accountantHow to use this forum?