fright; horror; concern; terror
fear
backlash
absence
suite

what does 'bite his hand off' mean

millionaire vs. accountant | The crossover point is that production quantity where...
what does 'bite his hand off' mean #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 25, 2009 14:56 pm   what does 'bite his hand off' mean

Mike: 'He offered me a 50% discount. What should I do?'
Jane: '.........'

(a) Hold his hand down.
(b) Bite his hand down.
(c) Hold your hand in.
(d) Bite his hand off.

The correct answer is D, but what exactly does 'bite his hand off' mean? It sounds like 'cut off sb's hand by teeth to me. :(
_________________
Please feel free to correct me if you find any mistakes in my posts.
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

what does 'bite his hand off' mean #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 25, 2009 16:58 pm   what does 'bite his hand off' mean

This is an idiom and means: accept the offer immediately, without hesitation. The idea of 'biting' suggests dramatically that you should accept the offer that he's making with his hand and not only grab it but bite it off!

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
what does 'bite his hand off' mean #3 (permalink) Sun Jan 25, 2009 17:29 pm   what does 'bite his hand off' mean

Thank you for your explanation. :D
_________________
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

Phrase: Can you buy my some Vanilla ice cream?What 'violent' in Vietnames mean?what does acommodation mean?freeze vs frostExpression: He is really gutsythe letter of the law?A loving and appropriate epitaph?Origin of the idiom 'no cigar'?Have the final say over everything?how to choose the right answer?Expression: 'Crack over'I have a virus my laptop. vs I have a virus in my laptop.How to use this forum?