to show; to display; to demonstrate; to present
blunder
exhibit
ascertain
convey

Meaning of 'hot line'

Anyone who arrived after that time | Difference between 'funnier' and 'more fun'
Meaning of 'hot line' #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:10 am   Meaning of 'hot line'

Test No. incompl/inter-18 "Hot and Cold", question 9

The police have set up a special hot ......... so that people can get in touch to find out about the accident.

(a) connection
(b) line
(c) communication
(d) phone

Test No. incompl/inter-18 "Hot and Cold", answer 9

The police have set up a special hot line so that people can get in touch to find out about the accident.

Correct answer: (b) line

The police have set up a special hot connection so that people can get in touch to find out about the accident.
_________________________

why is hot line?
lauryn

Meaning of 'hot line' #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:09 am   Meaning of 'hot line'

Line is used here in the sense of telephone line and hot refers to the fact that it's live now and can be used immediately.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Paper thin versus Paper longDifference between products and producingMeaning of 'hither and thither'Meaning of "troubleshooter"Meaning of 'petty cash'Meaning of 'as dry as a bone'Leave me aloneYou could hear the sound of great activityThe black sheep of the familyShe has been lyingHe intended to fly across the channelDifference between have told and have been toldDifference between liberty and freedom