to provide secret information about another country; to examine
spy
brake
indicate
comply

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

When we know the answer do we write it or do we click on it? | Difference between 'nod out' and 'nod off'
Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:33 am   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Conversations and Comprehension (2)", question 10

Customer: Hi. I want a flight and hotel package for two to Las Vegas next month.
Travel Agent: OK. Is that for two adults?
Customer: Yes, my fianc and I are going to finally tie the knot.
Travel Agent: Oh, congratulations. How exciting!
Why is the customer going to do in Las Vegas? ..........

(a) He wants to gamble the whole time.
(b) He's going to get married.
(c) He wants to see some fabulous shows.

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Conversations and Comprehension (2)", answer 10

Customer: Hi. I want a flight and hotel package for two to Las Vegas next month.
Customer: Yes, my fianc and I are going to finally tie the knot.
Why is the customer going to do in Las Vegas? He's going to get married..

Correct answer: (b) He's going to get married.
_________________________

WHAT IS MEANING OF " to finally tie the knot"?

Lommi
Lommi

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:25 am   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

It means to get married.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A castle

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #3 (permalink) Sun Jun 21, 2009 16:19 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Hey,

I'm quite sure I've spotted two mistakes in the conversation: 1) I think it has to be "fiancée" instead of "fianc" and 2) Either "What is the customer going to do in Las Vegas?" or "Why is the customer going to Las Vegas?

Since this forum attaches great importance to correctness and precision I think they should be corrected unless of course I'm wrong!
Nathanael86

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:44 am   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Hello Nathanael86,

Torsten makes it a point to regularly remind forum members about sentence basics such as correct capitalization, punctuation and spelling. So it does seem that correctness and precision are important here, doesn't it?
1) I think it has to be "fiancée" instead of "fianc" and 2) Either "What is the customer going to do in Las Vegas?" or "Why is the customer going to Las Vegas?
I'd say you are absolutely right about the errors in this test, and you've made excellent suggestions.

1) As far as I know, the word "fianc" does not exist in the English language. The word "fiancée" would be an appropriate correction -- despite the fact that my spell-checker is telling me that "fiancée" should be spelled either "fiance" or "fiancee". 8)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fiancee

2) Either one of your suggested sentences would be an appropriate correction.

__________________________
"Success produces confidence; confidence relaxes industry, and negligence ruins the reputation which accuracy had raised." ~ Ben Jonson
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 22, 2009 13:03 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Hi Amy and Nathan,

Thank you very much for your great support. Of course we'll remove those typos as soon as possible.
Best regards,

TOEIC short conversations: Customer books a round flight at travel agency.

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #6 (permalink) Thu Apr 08, 2010 16:56 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

The typo is still there, lol
_________________
I find your Lack of Faith disturbing!
The Force is out there!
Gheon

Location: Center of Universe, Jedi Academy

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #7 (permalink) Thu Apr 08, 2010 17:16 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Esl_Expert wrote:

Fiancé - male
Fiancée - female.
_________________

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #8 (permalink) Thu Apr 08, 2010 21:10 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

I meant the typo in:
"WHY is the customer going to do in Las Vegas?"
_________________
I find your Lack of Faith disturbing!
The Force is out there!
Gheon

Re: Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #9 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:03 am   Re: Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Hey Beeesneees,

Could you help me? I read that Torsten said - tie the knot means to get married...

I looked in dictionary, also...

Why, if because someone points on marriage like a "prison" means forever together or?

Thank you
_________________
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step!!!
Ivana15

Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #10 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

The phrase 'tie the knot' has nothing to do with the ide of being imprisoned. It is not intended to carry any negative connotations. It simply indicates that two people are joined together.
_________________

your evaluation please?How long have you worked here (at this place) as a city planner (in this job).I need your expense reports on my desk and on the double.on the alertindirectly controlled by, controlling or under common control with such PartyMeaning of 'chip chop'?take off: remove fromA youth is a young personottoman vs deskWhat is a mover?What does this expression mean: it comes down to?meaning of drainIdiom: 'grasp it at the first time'