Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to provide secret information about another country; to examine
spy
brake
indicate
comply
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
When we know the answer do we write it or do we click on it? | Difference between 'nod out' and 'nod off'
listening exercises
Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:33 am   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Conversations and Comprehension (2)", question 10

Customer: Hi. I want a flight and hotel package for two to Las Vegas next month.
Travel Agent: OK. Is that for two adults?
Customer: Yes, my fianc and I are going to finally tie the knot.
Travel Agent: Oh, congratulations. How exciting!
Why is the customer going to do in Las Vegas? ..........

(a) He wants to gamble the whole time.
(b) He's going to get married.
(c) He wants to see some fabulous shows.

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Conversations and Comprehension (2)", answer 10

Customer: Hi. I want a flight and hotel package for two to Las Vegas next month.
Travel Agent: OK. Is that for two adults?
Customer: Yes, my fianc and I are going to finally tie the knot.
Travel Agent: Oh, congratulations. How exciting!
Why is the customer going to do in Las Vegas? He's going to get married..

Correct answer: (b) He's going to get married.

WHAT IS MEANING OF " to finally tie the knot"?

Lommi
Lommi

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:25 am   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

It means to get married.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A castle
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #3 (permalink) Sun Jun 21, 2009 16:19 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Hey,

I'm quite sure I've spotted two mistakes in the conversation: 1) I think it has to be "fiancée" instead of "fianc" and 2) Either "What is the customer going to do in Las Vegas?" or "Why is the customer going to Las Vegas?

Since this forum attaches great importance to correctness and precision I think they should be corrected unless of course I'm wrong!
Nathanael86
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:44 am   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Hello Nathanael86,

Torsten makes it a point to regularly remind forum members about sentence basics such as correct capitalization, punctuation and spelling. So it does seem that correctness and precision are important here, doesn't it?
Quote:
1) I think it has to be "fiancée" instead of "fianc" and 2) Either "What is the customer going to do in Las Vegas?" or "Why is the customer going to Las Vegas?
I'd say you are absolutely right about the errors in this test, and you've made excellent suggestions.

1) As far as I know, the word "fianc" does not exist in the English language. The word "fiancée" would be an appropriate correction -- despite the fact that my spell-checker is telling me that "fiancée" should be spelled either "fiance" or "fiancee". 8)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fiancee

2) Either one of your suggested sentences would be an appropriate correction.

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 22, 2009 13:03 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Hi Amy and Nathan,

Thank you very much for your great support. Of course we'll remove those typos as soon as possible.
Best regards,
Torsten

TOEIC short conversations: Customer books a round flight at travel agency.
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #6 (permalink) Thu Apr 08, 2010 16:56 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

The typo is still there, lol
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #7 (permalink) Thu Apr 08, 2010 17:16 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Esl_Expert wrote:
1) As far as I know, the word "fianc" does not exist in the English language. The word "fiancée" would be an appropriate correction -- despite the fact that my spell-checker is telling me that "fiancée" should be spelled either "fiance" or "fiancee". 8)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fiancee

Fiancé - male
Fiancée - female.
Language Coach

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #8 (permalink) Thu Apr 08, 2010 21:10 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

I meant the typo in:
"WHY is the customer going to do in Las Vegas?"
I'm here quite often ;-)

Re: Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #9 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:03 am   Re: Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

Hey Beeesneees,

Could you help me? I read that Torsten said - tie the knot means to get married...

I looked in dictionary, also...

Why, if because someone points on marriage like a "prison" means forever together or?

Thank you

Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"? #10 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 pm   Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?

The phrase 'tie the knot' has nothing to do with the ide of being imprisoned. It is not intended to carry any negative connotations. It simply indicates that two people are joined together.
Language Coach

When we know the answer do we write it or do we click on it? | Difference between 'nod out' and 'nod off'
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
your evaluation please?How long have you worked here (at this place) as a city planner (in this job).I need your expense reports on my desk and on the double.on the alertindirectly controlled by, controlling or under common control with such PartyMeaning of 'chip chop'?take off: remove fromA youth is a young personottoman vs deskWhat is a mover?What does this expression mean: it comes down to?meaning of drainIdiom: 'grasp it at the first time'