Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

direct or incidental reference; recognition of an achievement
section
facilitator
mention
enlargement
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I've never been there vs. I never went there

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is a sophomore? | What is an escrow process?
listening exercises
I've never been there vs. I never went there #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 03, 2005 18:07 pm   I've never been there vs. I never went there

Test No. incompl/elem-28 "Responses", question 2

Mike: 'We went to Paris last summer.'
Jane: '.........'

(a) I never go there too.
(b) I never went there.
(c) I never did there.
(d) I've never been there.

Test No. incompl/elem-28 "Responses", answer 2

Jane: 'I've never been there.'

Correct answer: (d) I've never been there.

Your answer was: incorrect
Jane: 'I never went there.'

hi,

Please tell me, why cant we use "i never went there"?

Diodora
Diodora

Present perfect - I've never been there #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:39 am   Present perfect - I've never been there

We use the present perfect for things that refer to a period of time which started somewhere in the past and are still true at the moment of speaking.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A large machine
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Present perfect - I've never been there #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 09, 2007 17:12 pm   Present perfect - I've never been there

Torsten wrote:
We use the present perfect for things that refer to a period of time which started somewhere in the past and are still true at the moment of speaking.

How can something have happened (in the past of course) and later be true or false it doesn`t make sense to me!!!

Please give me a detailed explanation

Thanks in advance
Blazya
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

I've never been there vs. I never went there #4 (permalink) Mon Feb 09, 2009 13:10 pm   I've never been there vs. I never went there

Hi Blazya:
I am not sure if you still interested in the subject. If not probably you can close the subject. Anyway, there are many examples that show something is true in the past and in the future as well. For instance:
1) Exactly two years ago I came to California for living, so: “Two years ago I lived in California", is a true sentence.
2) Today; I live in California, then obviously; "Today I live in California”, is also a true sentence.
As a consequence, the sentence:
"I lived in California for two years ago" Contains the information of both last true sentences 1) and 2),
Regards
Frank Stern
You can meet me at english-test.net

I've never been there vs. I never went there #5 (permalink) Mon Feb 09, 2009 13:12 pm   I've never been there vs. I never went there

Hi Frank,

You cannot say 'I lived in California for two years ago'. Instead, your sentence should read 'I lived in California for two years.'

TOEIC listening, photographs: Pulling a rope
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

I've never been there vs. I never went there #6 (permalink) Thu May 28, 2009 9:27 am   I've never been there vs. I never went there

Hi, Torsten,
what about sentences like "I never wanted" "I was never afraid of.." etc. It seems to me, that you certainly can't use present perfect in sentences like this(I have never wanted I have never been afraid of), or am I wrong?
Sevich
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

I've never been there vs. I never went there #7 (permalink) Thu May 28, 2009 18:13 pm   I've never been there vs. I never went there

Hi Sevich,

Yes you can use the present perfect in those sentences. It might be more common in British English than it is in American English though. I'm sure Skrej, Jamie, Bill, Charles, Tom or any of our native speakers can tell you more on this.

Thanks a lot for your interesting question.
Regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, talks: A tour guide introduces herself to her group
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

I've never been there vs. I never went there #8 (permalink) Fri May 29, 2009 16:33 pm   I've never been there vs. I never went there

Hi, teacher Torsten,
Which of the two tenses in the parenthesis is fit to the given statement.

"What I've heard from the building superintendent, the bachelor flat doesn't get a parking space wherein my belief (doesn't agree, hasn't agreed) at all."

Thank you,
Adonis :)
Adonistalavera

What is a sophomore? | What is an escrow process?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
reconfirm vs. rebookWhat does FSCM stand for?"conference call" vs "meeting call"Meaning of barist/barista?Meaning of sergeantA slang expression that means 'great cooking'?Expression: To earn a nickelnephews refer to my bro/sist' kids?What is a janitor?What is a barista?Meaning of diagnosed?Meaning of capstoneWhy is it called soup kitchen for needy?