to cede; to surrender; to give up; to forsake; to abandon
seek
relinquish
move
postpone

Difference between mould and create

I'm trying to remember your name | he hadn't said a word
Difference between mould and create #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 10, 2005 14:20 pm   Difference between mould and create

Test No. incompl/inter-13 "At the Theatre", question 3

One of the greatest actors of the century ......... an unforgettable character in the part of Scrooge from the novel by Charles Dickens.

(a) developed
(b) manufactured
(c) moulded
(d) created

Test No. incompl/inter-13 "At the Theatre", answer 3

One of the greatest actors of the century created an unforgettable character in the part of Scrooge from the novel by Charles Dickens.

Correct answer: (d) created

One of the greatest actors of the century moulded an unforgettable character in the part of Scrooge from the novel by Charles Dickens.
_________________________

What is the difference here between "created" and "moulded"?

Mileu
Mileu

Difference between mould and create #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:53 am   Difference between mould and create

To create means to produce or make something while to mould (or mold) means to influence or shape.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Out for a ride

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between mould and create #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:10 am   Difference between mould and create

hi
How can we create new character in already existing novel ,we can mould but we cannot create a character right?.Please explain me
thanks in advance
jyo
Mudium

Difference between mould and create #4 (permalink) Tue Jul 28, 2009 18:14 pm   Difference between mould and create

hi
in which situations we can use develop?why not in this sentence?
thanx in advance :)
Goodmahsa

Location: Iran

Re: Difference between mould and create #5 (permalink) Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:47 am   Re: Difference between mould and create

Wasn't it the author who created the character?
Novalenex

Difference between mould and create #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:16 am   Difference between mould and create

Hello teachers,
Can you explain above questions to us?
I think "create" here doesnt mean "to invent". Instead, "create" here means " to make something possible". In this case, the actor did make the character in the novel become unforgetable.
So, "created" is the correct answer. Anyway, "moulded" cant be correct.
Am I right?
Many thanks!
Oad

Difference between mould and create #7 (permalink) Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:43 am   Difference between mould and create

Create here means closer to 'brought to life'.

The actor gives life to the character. The character was previously only words written on a page and it was up to the reader to use their own imagination to bring the character to life. Now the actor has done that for them.

Often, people who read a book then watch a film based on that book are disappointed by the film. Sometimes that is because plot changes have been made, but sometimes it is because the actor has not interpreted the character in the same way as the reader/viewer did when he read the book.
_________________

Are you sure there are seven days of week according to the solar calendar?Aux Modalroars of joystrength/power/forcesuch a daredevilupIt's supposed to be hot and sunny all day long.What does "all this way" mean?Meaning of "come up with"Meaning of 'part company with you'Who is suspected of rogers murder?Meaning of ThoroughlyMeaning of pace