Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

rubble; ruins; wreckage; fragments
novelty
photo
debris
infancy
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

difference between leave and depart

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Surely vs. safely | Meaning of "we mustn't leave it so long next time"
listening exercises
difference between leave and depart #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 16, 2009 14:04 pm   difference between leave and depart

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #128 "Ways of disapproving", question 1

There is no way that I can agree to you ......... early today.

(a) submitting
(b) renouncing
(c) leaving
(d) departing

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #128 "Ways of disapproving", answer 1

There is no way that I can agree to you leaving early today.

Correct answer: (c) leaving

difference between leave and depart
Rsgarg1110

difference between leave and depart #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 16, 2009 15:04 pm   difference between leave and depart

Hi,

'Leave' is used for both people and transport 'going away from' but 'depart' is usually reserved for transport: The train departs at 6 pm and we also have the word 'departure' as in 'departure times' and the opposite meaning 'arrival times'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
difference between leave and depart #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 04, 2013 20:52 pm   difference between leave and depart

leaving early today=apart from the morning today?
thanx
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

difference between leave and depart #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 am   difference between leave and depart

Hi Saneta, I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean to ask if early today means early in the morning? Yes, early today means in the early morning.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you rather get a Blackberry or an I-phone?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

difference between leave and depart #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 06, 2013 17:37 pm   difference between leave and depart

ook, but speaker means that he/she doesn't want to leave early morning himself/herself or with the other speaker?

thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

difference between leave and depart #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 06, 2013 20:55 pm   difference between leave and depart

The speaker is saying that he cannot allow the other person to leave early. (Note that there is no indication that this is morning. In fact, the most likely scenario is a worker asking his boss if he can leave work early... for example, if he can possibly finish work at 4 p.m. instead of 5:30 p.m. or similar)
Language Coach

Surely vs. safely | Meaning of "we mustn't leave it so long next time"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
how he would stick it outCan you hold a moment?preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that jobMeaning of "you can count on me"When to use annouce in stead of said?When I get the wrong answer I want you show, and when I choose the right answerHow to pronounce 'one'?closing vs. stopping a meetingWhat does "likewise" mean?Is "WAS" an intransitive verb here?Meaning of "let's shake on that"What does "be of a like mind" mean here?I don't know what time they'll be back this evening...