to put up with something or somebody unpleasant
describe
acquaint
fade
endure

A bunch of bananas

From my point of view or in my opinion | Does four-square mean completely?
A bunch of bananas #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:23 pm   A bunch of bananas

Test No. incompl/inter-45 "Speaking 2 (At the Supermarket)", question 5

For the next hour it will be possible to buy just one ......... of bananas and get one more free.

(a) bunch
(b) branch
(c) hand
(d) group

Test No. incompl/inter-45 "Speaking 2 (At the Supermarket)", answer 5

For the next hour it will be possible to buy just one bunch of bananas and get one more free.

Correct answer: (a) bunch

For the next hour it will be possible to buy just one hand of bananas and get one more free.
_________________________

why we can not call a bunch of bananas>>

A bunch of bananas #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 14, 2005 14:14 pm   A bunch of bananas

A bunch of bananas is the correct expression here. It is a common term that describes a cluster of bananas which you can purchase at a supermarket.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A girl resting

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
A bunch of bananas #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 05, 2010 13:04 pm   A bunch of bananas

I don't understand... What is the difference between "bunch' of bananas and 'hand' of bananas? I'm thinking... The 'bunch' of bananas is like in nature, whole, and the 'hand' of bananas is like at the supermarket, in pieces - is it so?
Fnpena

Location: Brasil

A bunch of bananas #4 (permalink) Tue Oct 05, 2010 13:38 pm   A bunch of bananas

'Bunch' is generally used in shops and supermarkets, but as 'hand' is the correct collective term then if I were to select from those choices, I would probably have chosen 'hand' too.
The questions probably ought to be reviewed. It doesn't seem very fair.
_________________

Bunch or hand #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 05, 2010 14:27 pm   Bunch or hand

Thank you, Beeesneees. Here in Brazil we buy bananas in kilograms, always, we cannot buy bananas otherwise, even a bunch of bananas will be turned into kilograms. Then, it's difficult to understand the answer to this question. Thanks a lot!
Fnpena

Location: Brasil

A bunch of bananas #6 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 15:25 pm   A bunch of bananas

Hi there,

Is ''bundle'' sounds ok, too?
Puppet

hard working familygerund formswhich tense should be used when referring to two past actionshi how to tell verbs of perceptionjust got done pimping out his rideI have been a four-eyes?Who is Lord Mansfield?to feather one's own nest?Does it mean that he thinks if he were seen to drink with some of his employees?What does cash machine mean?left me some money in his will?What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?Scream versus Cry