to move heavily or awkwardly; to accumulate; to collect
lumber
fax
chain
incline

I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying

Simple past + past continuous | until he had seen vs. until he saw
I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 14, 2005 23:15 pm   I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying

Test No. incompl/inter-91 "Tenses (2)", question 2

I honestly couldn't follow a word you ..........

(a) are saying
(b) will say
(c) were saying
(d) did say

Test No. incompl/inter-91 "Tenses (2)", answer 2

I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying.

Correct answer: (c) were saying

I honestly couldn't follow a word you did say.
_________________________

why not did say can be used
deleted

Simple past #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 15, 2005 17:03 pm   Simple past

Well, if you want to use the simple past instead of the past continuous the correct verb form would be said instead of did say because we use the auxiliary verb did only in questions.

TOEIC listening, photographs: An airplane

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Simple past #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:53 am   Simple past

Torsten wrote:

Dear Sir,

Would you be so kind as to tell me why "are saying" can't be used here?

Thanks in advance

Enlearnercn
Christina328

I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:43 am   I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying

Since at the time when you made your statement, it is unlikely that the other party was still taking, and so the event of talking would be something that happened in the past.
Andrew

I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying #5 (permalink) Sun Sep 25, 2011 21:37 pm   I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying

Here isn't present in the past???" Honestly I can' follow a word what you are saying." Indirect speech: "I couldn't. Follow a word what you were saying." When the sentence is introduced by a verb in past tense the verb of the clause has to chage in corresponding tense.Here: in past contnuous tense.
_________________

I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying #6 (permalink) Tue Sep 27, 2011 14:06 pm   I honestly couldn't follow a word you were saying

can't we use here: 'did say' to emphasise the action?
and for the second we don't have to change Past Simple in direct speech to Past Perfect in the indirect speech, but we can leave it as Simple pas.

many thanks

Cleft sentences and use of EnglishIs bend the right word to use?what is dandle?What does 'reached' mean?What does performance mean?Does 'stir' have to be in the Present form? Shouldn't it be "stirred"?Track versus lane'to learn to speak English' vs. 'to learn speak English'Meaning of cubicleWhy doesn't "knee long" make sense?Meaning of walkaboutIdiom: they've been walking out togetherTwo of the items is a sufficient quantity