Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

violent twist; violent ripping; tool for gripping or turning bolts
duplicate
personnel
fold
wrench
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"Within seconds" vs "Without seconds"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Phrasal verb: turn up | about "to tell about"
listening exercises
"Within seconds" vs "Without seconds" #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 20, 2009 18:25 pm   "Within seconds" vs "Without seconds"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Simple Present (4)", question 7

......... seconds he rushed out of the pub leaving his coat behind, ran into the pouring rain with no umbrella.

(a) Outside
(b) Within
(c) Without
(d) Inside

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Simple Present (4)", answer 7

Within seconds he rushed out of the pub leaving his coat behind, ran into the pouring rain with no umbrella.

Correct answer: (b) Within

Your answer was: incorrect
Without seconds he rushed out of the pub leaving his coat behind, ran into the pouring rain with no umbrella.

Why not without?

July
July

"Within seconds" vs "Without seconds" #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:08 am   "Within seconds" vs "Without seconds"

Hi!
It can't be without because 'within' means in a certain time or limited time, for example: Within 6 months I can improve our English
While 'without' means out side, dont have .. for example: Without
HuongMs
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
"Within seconds" vs "Without seconds" #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:12 am   "Within seconds" vs "Without seconds"

for example: Without the country.
or: We cant learn English without helps.
It may be our knowledge about that. Hope you can find the useful.
Nice to meet u
HuongMs
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

"Within seconds" vs "Without seconds" #4 (permalink) Sun Sep 25, 2011 0:02 am   "Within seconds" vs "Without seconds"

within =before a particular period of time has passed.
-within seconds
-within minutes
-within the space of a year

Both answers are equally legitimate #5 (permalink) Wed May 02, 2012 17:07 pm   Both answers are equally legitimate

Both answers are equally legitimate in style, but with completely different meanings.

"Pub" is an allusion to eating as much as "rushed" is an allusion to time. Instead of "seconds" meaning subparts of minutes, it can just as easily mean the second course of a meal, which rushing out would also prevent.

Yes, "within" is used when constructing with time, but "without" is used when constructing with objects. Each is equally legitimate here.

This is an amphibology—a verbal fallacy arising from an ambiguous grammatical construction. See "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves," the title of a grammar book, in reference to the joke "A panda bear eats, shoots, and leaves." So which is it, is he eating shoots and leaves for lunch? Or is he eating first, then shoots a gun and flees the scene?

Your student was correct.
Tiny9312

"Within seconds" vs "Without seconds" #6 (permalink) Wed May 02, 2012 17:40 pm   "Within seconds" vs "Without seconds"

Interesting comment but completely off beam, off topic and off the wall. It means here after a very short space of time. It is part of a story i wrote for the site and you can divine the sense of it if you read the whole test. Context is all.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

"Within seconds" vs "Without seconds" #7 (permalink) Wed May 02, 2012 21:32 pm   "Within seconds" vs "Without seconds"

Hello,

Seconds are here units of time. As within can use only before an expression of a period of time and without can be used with a noun (an object' or a person' s name) or a gerund, here the single good answer is within seconds. (or an other expression of time)
Without seconds could mean =Without persons whose role to help somebody for example in a duel.

(There is an exception : Life Without Seconds-Time Lapse-Nintendo 3DS but I don't know what this means, I read about it. In this sentence this isn't correct. At most in the C programming. Query with time zone offset but without seconds.)

/A query:a question, especially one asking for information or expressing a doubt about something/

Phrasal verb: turn up | about "to tell about"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of 'doing our planet some good'?Meaning of 'upon fifteen (15) days prior written notice'???to mail in our store receipt???which one is the best english?Test incompl/elem-191, Question 4Is the comma correct here?six routes serve???more mobile societythe turbulance and noise of the boats.Test incompl/elem-177, Question 7has been developed vs. has been developingWhat are synonyms to 'quiet'?Difference between a journey, trip, tour