instructional booklet; handbook
unit
consumer
manual
return

daresay, not "dare say"

"grap bag" vs "grab bag" | expressionsn vs conditions
daresay, not "dare say" #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 23, 2009 21:26 pm   daresay, not "dare say"

I daresay there's a mistake on the following page in the first question: http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ii009/esl-test.php

People are supposed to complete the word after "dare". However, I think the words "dare say" are actually one word. I have two reasons to think so:

1. "Daresay" is an entry in my American Heritage College Dictionary.
2. As the dictionary points out, this verb is defective and only exists in the first person singular and the present. In other words, I can't say "He dare say", "He dares say" or "I dared say."

What do you think? If you agree, would it be possible to change the first question on the test?
DBlomgren

Location: Costa Rica

daresay, not "dare say" #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:57 am   daresay, not "dare say"

I agree it is usually written as one word.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Am I correct or not?Meaning of tissuesWhy putting the key information at the beginning is the one fundamental principleCan we say 'at saturday night'?pounded or knocked?Expression: 'To make up one's mind'Expression 'to take (something) into consideration'Example with "call it a day"How can a business use a data processing center?Difference between "boarding gate" and "check-in counter"Meaning of "right down"'It's no small wonder' vs 'It's no wonder'completely vs usually; quickly