Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

serving as an aide; helpful; supportive; auxiliary
honest
assistant
different
close
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between 'believe' and 'believe in'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Fun vs. a joke | Meaning of hibernate
listening exercises
Difference between 'believe' and 'believe in' #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:36 am   Difference between 'believe' and 'believe in'

Test No. incompl/inter-28 "The Hare and the Tortoise", question 8

When he woke up, he couldn't ......... his eyes because there was the tortoise crossing the finishing line.

(a) understand
(b) believe
(c) comprehend
(d) folow

Test No. incompl/inter-28 "The Hare and the Tortoise", answer 8

When he woke up, he couldn't believe his eyes because there was the tortoise crossing the finishing line.

Correct answer: (b) believe

Your answer was: incorrect
When he woke up, he couldn't folow his eyes because there was the tortoise crossing the finishing line.

i think : believe + in . do you think so
intel

Difference between 'believe' and 'believe in' #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:20 am   Difference between 'believe' and 'believe in'

What you need here is he couldn't believe his eyes. To believe in something or somebody means to have faith in them or in it and this requires a long term relationship. To believe + object describes a more concrete situation, usually it's a single action as in our sentence.
For example, you can say I believe in miracles which means you think that in general it is possible that miracles happen.
If your friend calls you tomorrow announcoing I've just won 3 million dollars in the lottery! you simply might reply I don't believe you which means you don't think that this particular statement of his is true.

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the library
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between 'believe' and 'believe in' #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:07 am   Difference between 'believe' and 'believe in'

Sorry, there had a word mistook 'announcoing'. It should be 'announcing'.
Watie
I'm here quite often ;-)

Fun vs. a joke | Meaning of hibernate
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is the meaning of style?Tortoise and the Hare?Exposed to the elementslike vs. unliketake a turn, exit or a rampWhat does 'brought over' mean?gift vs. givenWhy does the word 'advices' not exist?What is your word for 'fun'?Psychiatrist vs psychologist vs psychotherapist vs psychoanalyst?I was working when you called?Sentence: Sunglasses protect your eyes against the sun's (direct) harsh blaze...Can we use Font size in this sentence or is it too technical...