to take money from the bank; to retire; to remove
connote
treat
misunderstand
withdraw

Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'

Meaning of 'come into force' | teaching your wife to drive?
Meaning of 'would-be house buyer' #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:33 am   Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'

Test No. incompl/advan-35 "One is always going to lose...", question 9

This is all very disappointing for the ......... house buyer who doesn't really know what's going to happen next and how much the interest rate will be.

(a) would-go
(b) would-try
(c) would-see
(d) would-be

Test No. incompl/advan-35 "One is always going to lose...", answer 9

This is all very disappointing for the would-be house buyer who doesn't really know what's going to happen next and how much the interest rate will be.

Correct answer: (d) would-be
_________________________

Dear Alan:
what the sentence would like to tell us here and furthermore, can you explain me the meaning of ' wouldg-go, would-try, would-see'?

Thanks a lot for your help
Kawaii

Meaning of 'would-be house buyer' #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:14 pm   Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'

Would-be house buyers are peoply who really want to buy a house but are frustrated because they can't realize their plan. In our case this is due to a lack of reliable information.

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the workshop

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'would-be house buyer' #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:51 am   Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'

It would be helpful if you could explain the expressions: would-see, would-go, would-try. Then, is this kind of structure frequent in English? Can you make up some?
Many thanks

Maiga
Abrarmohamed

Meaning of 'would-be house buyer' #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 11, 2013 21:49 pm   Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'

would-be is a very frequent adjective only before noun.

Here is my would-be wife.
Here is my would-be home. = (it is still not mine, but it will be.
Here is my would-be work place.
Here is my would-be school

This is an adjective before a noun so I can't say example: [would-go] [would-try] this works only:
with adjective (would-be) + noun

_________________

Re: Meaning of 'would-be house buyer' #5 (permalink) Mon Aug 12, 2013 0:21 am   Re: Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'

A 'would-be house buyer' is a potential house buyer. We don't know if the person will actually buy a house.
If we know that the person will buy a house, that person is a future house-buyer.
Canadian45

Meaning of 'would-be house buyer' #6 (permalink) Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:30 am   Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'

Hello Canadian,

Many thanks for your help. As would-be adj. exists in similarly in Hungarian it would have seemed to me so obvious that I never looked up in dictionaries. As the question was put to Torsten to explain "would-be go" The question showed that this person has no faintest idea what this adjective means. That's why try to explain.

This morning I looked it up other dictionaries than yesterday evening, but they say the same things.

would-be(adj)

Cambridge dictionary
Definition
C2 wanting or trying to be: a would-be artist/politician

The Free Dictionary
Desiring, attempting, or professing to be: "Would-be home buyers will have a somewhat easier time getting loans" (Wall Street Journal).

1. Usually derogatory wanting or professing to be a would-be politician
2. intended to be would-be generosity

Infoplease Dictionary:
—adj.
1. wishing or pretending to be: a would-be wit.
2. intended to be: a would-be kindness.

—n.
a person who wishes or pretends to be something: Opera singers and would-bes should practice at least four hours a day.(Here I see first that it can be a noun as in Hungarian also)

Synonyms for would-be
Adjective
1. aspirant, aspiring(predicate), wishful, would-be(prenominal), hopeful (vs. hopeless)
usage: seeking advancement or recognition
2. manque, would-be(prenominal), ambitious (vs. unambitious)
usage: unfilled or frustrated in realizing an ambition

_________________

Meaning of 'would-be house buyer' #7 (permalink) Mon Aug 12, 2013 21:22 pm   Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'

Hello Canadian,

I read your letter again. Of course I agree with it. You wrote:

Of course that I thought of this that everybody who is a would -be "no matter who" these are potential any ones. I could this demonstrate if I tell a story to it.

For example:

Yesterday we visited this home for sale. In the evening we decided to buy it. I've just showed to my friend and told her.
-See, here is my would-be home.

I think if somebody knows what "would-be home " means , it is superfluous to explain, why I had said this.

Regards.
_________________

Why "no cigar"?briefing vs. clearingWhat does proposed mean?Assure vs. assertSurvive = continue to liveHigh profile and high dramaMeaning of 'overrun'Difference between transpose and transferDifference between attached and includedWhat is the difference between goal and aim?What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?Question tagsWhat does wear thin mean?