having membership in; belonging to (a group, academic organization, etc.); of the same type
unsatisfactory
pervasive
recognizable
fellow

Meaning of tissues

Meaning of phrasal verb 'put down' | Am I correct or not?
Meaning of tissues #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 14:17 pm   Meaning of tissues

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #422 "Retail Sales Phrases", question 4

Customer: "Good morning. I need some tissues." Sales clerk: "Of course, how ......... packets would you like?"

(a) many
(b) lots of
(c) much
(d) plenty of

ESL/EFL Test #422 "Retail Sales Phrases", answer 4

Customer: "Good morning. I need some tissues." Sales clerk: "Of course, how many packets would you like?"

Correct answer: (a) many

_________________________

what means tissues?

Amon
Amon

Meaning of tissues #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 16:31 pm   Meaning of tissues

Tissues are thin pieces of soft sanitary cleansing papers, especially for your nose.

In the U.S., we typically use the genericized trade name of 'Kleenex', for all tissues, even if they're not actually Kleenex brand.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of tissues #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 16:45 pm   Meaning of tissues

Hi Skrej,

I am knocked sideways by this word 'genericized'. How on earth do you pronounce it? Care to give it a go on the recording device?

_________________

Meaning of tissues #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 16:58 pm   Meaning of tissues

Hi Alan,

I'd have to dig through a pile of wires to find a microphone, but maybe I can give you a rough phonetic transcription.

[jen ʹner i sīzd]

I've seen them called 'proprietary eponyms', also, which seems more pompous, and even a bigger mouthful to say.

I'll see if I can dig out a microphone later after work...
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

what is jester?What is a casino?Why do you need to doing that? vs Why do you need to do that?Typo: The word should be "character."What is a typical, carry-on baggage size?Difference between "severe" and "strict"Why putting the key information at the beginning is the one fundamental principleCan we say 'at saturday night'?pounded or knocked?expressionsn vs conditionsdaresay, not "dare say""grap bag" vs "grab bag"expose vs experience