Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

honest; straightforward; open; frank
ideal
tantamount
average
candid
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Industry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does clock mean? | It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'
listening exercises
Industry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure? #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:26 am   Industry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure?

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #143 "Job Advertising", question 1

Industry- ........., or niche, employment websites are proliferating as places for companies to locate qualified personnel.

(a) controlled
(b) only
(c) particular
(d) specific

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #143 "Job Advertising", answer 1

Industry- specific, or niche, employment websites are proliferating as places for companies to locate qualified personnel.

Correct answer: (d) specific

Your answer was: incorrect
Industry- particular, or niche, employment websites are proliferating as places for companies to locate qualified personnel.

Can you explain Industry-specific is a compound noud or different grammatical structure, please?

Thank you

Industry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure? #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:31 am   Industry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure?

It is not a compound noun, since the second component ('specific') is an adjective. I can think of nothing better to call it than a hyphenated adjective with a noun as prefix.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does clock mean? | It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the meaning of chives?literally vs accuratelyWhat does prowling mean?Expression: a special language for childrenPhrase: Passengers are required to produce appropriatewhat does announcement of performance mean?how come can use "to seeing"?The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these wordsPress is not the establishment but the actual machine that does the printingPrincipal vs principleWhat does 'a good point' mean?'any tea' vs 'some tea'View versus gap