familiar; close; intimate; informed; aware
total
acquainted
hourly
splendid

difference between pirates and smugglers

Finished vs. ended | Meaning of "Decompression sickness manifests"
difference between pirates and smugglers #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:05 am   difference between pirates and smugglers

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #113 "Synonyms for robber and burglar", question 6

Even nowadays ......... are still ranging the oceans and no one can feel safe against them.

(a) smugglers
(b) pirates
(c) trespassers
(d) thieves

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #113 "Synonyms for robber and burglar", answer 6

Even nowadays pirates are still ranging the oceans and no one can feel safe against them.

Correct answer: (b) pirates

Even nowadays smugglers are still ranging the oceans and no one can feel safe against them.
_________________________

explain the difference between pirates and smugglers?

Wados
Wados

difference between pirates and smugglers #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 09, 2009 13:09 pm   difference between pirates and smugglers

Pirates used to work " openly ", flying the Jolly Roger flag to advertise their presence.

Smugglers use every device possible to disguise their operations, usually working only in the hours of darkness.

Hope this helps.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between pirates and smugglers #3 (permalink) Mon Mar 09, 2009 13:22 pm   difference between pirates and smugglers

Thanks for your explanation, Bill. And this question reminds me of the Somali pirates...

Would you please also tell me if there is a difference between corsair and pirate boat? Which is commonly used?
_________________
Please feel free to correct me if you find any mistakes in my posts.
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

difference between pirates and smugglers #4 (permalink) Mon Mar 09, 2009 13:32 pm   difference between pirates and smugglers

Hello again Infinity, a Corsair WAS the ultimate pirate vessel. Fully rigged with sails for extra speed and heavily cannoned for battle. A terror of the High Seas in those days.

A modern Pirate ship can be almost anything that floats and has an engine. Usually high-speed boats that were / are used by people like the Greenpeace organisation.
_________________

What does prowling mean?Expression: a special language for childrenwhat does announcement of performance mean?how come can use "to seeing"?'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him'The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these wordsPress is not the establishment but the actual machine that does the printingPrincipal vs principleWhats the meaning of open-door?quantities vs statisticswhat is phrasal verbs?what is the antonym of the word petition?What is the difference between overlook and overtake?