to eat or drink; to use up; to destroy
consist
plug
consume
penalize

The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these words

What does prowling mean? | Difference between shut and close
The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these words #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 10, 2009 14:05 pm   The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these words

ESL/EFL Test #582 "Real Life: Coffee Shops (2)", question 9

Almost immediately after I drink a double-shot of espresso, I usually feel quite .......... This means that I'm really alert and I have a lot of energy for a period of time afterwards because of the caffeine.

(a) tired
(b) nauseous
(c) wired

ESL/EFL Test #582 "Real Life: Coffee Shops (2)", answer 9

Almost immediately after I drink a double-shot of espresso, I usually feel quite wired. This means that I'm really alert and I have a lot of energy for a period of time afterwards because of the caffeine.

Correct answer: (c) wired

_________________________

The construction of this passage is clumsy. "Quite wired" is not a correct joining of these words. It should be just "wired". Why test English learners with sentences and paragraphs that are not, themselves, formulated either correctly or colloquially?

English Speaker
English Speaker

The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these words #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 12, 2009 16:51 pm   The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these words

Why shouldn't we use the intensifier 'quite' here? And in that case how to express that I feel not just wired but wired to the greatest extent?
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
literally vs accuratelyIt sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'Expression: a special language for childrenPhrase: Passengers are required to produce appropriatewhat does announcement of performance mean?how come can use "to seeing"?'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him'Meaning of "Decompression sickness manifests"Press is not the establishment but the actual machine that does the printingPrincipal vs principledifference between pirates and smugglersIndustry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure?What does 'a good point' mean?