pertaining to a city; municipal
guilty
urban
international
wry

'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him'

Meaning of "Decompression sickness manifests" | what does announcement of performance mean?
'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him' #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 10, 2009 15:10 pm   'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him'

ESL/EFL Test #178 "Reported commands: reported speech", question 5

"Park the car behind the van." -- The instructor ......... him to park the car behind the van.

(a) offered
(b) told
(c) asked
(d) ordered

ESL/EFL Test #178 "Reported commands: reported speech", answer 5

"Park the car behind the van." -- The instructor told him to park the car behind the van.

Correct answer: (b) told

"Park the car behind the van." -- The instructor ordered him to park the car behind the van.
_________________________

Could you explain why it is impossible to use 'to order' here?

Ludmila O.
Ludmila O.

'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him' #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 10, 2009 16:04 pm   'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him'

Told, is a more polite way to ask someone to do something.

Ordered is a more military / official instruction.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What does prowling mean?Expression: a special language for childrenhow come can use "to seeing"?The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these wordsPress is not the establishment but the actual machine that does the printingPrincipal vs principledifference between pirates and smugglersWhats the meaning of open-door?quantities vs statisticswhat is phrasal verbs?what is the antonym of the word petition?What is the difference between overlook and overtake?Where I can use "full, open, whole, complete... heartedly"?