Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

not real; fanciful
legitimate
swift
imaginary
pushy
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Industry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure? | Phrase: Passengers are required to produce appropriate
listening exercises
It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...' #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 12, 2009 14:45 pm   It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Chit Chat: In the supermarket", question 1

Employee: Are you ......... problems, madam?

(a) feeling
(b) trying
(c) having
(d) knowing

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Chit Chat: In the supermarket", answer 1

Employee: Are you having problems, madam?

Correct answer: (c) having

it sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...', but the other verbs do not fit, right?
Ecaterina

It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...' #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 12, 2009 15:28 pm   It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'

1) Are you having any problems, ma'am?

I, too, think that it sounds awkward as I used to hear --

2) Do you have any problem, ma'am?

Which is correct and which sounds good?

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...' #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 13, 2009 18:32 pm   It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'

Hi Gray

Assuming that the context is that a store employee has noticed a woman who appears to be experiencing difficulties doing or finding something, then the use of "are you having" is quite appropriate. Your suggestion "Do you have any problem" would not be natural in that context.

The word that seems quite odd to me is the use of "madam". I would not expect that word to be used in such a sentence on the American side of the pond. Ma'am would sound much more natural to me.

All the best,
Amy

Industry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure? | Phrase: Passengers are required to produce appropriate
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the meaning of chives?Making mistakes when writing?literally vs accuratelyWhat does prowling mean?Expression: a special language for childrenhow come can use "to seeing"?The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these wordsPress is not the establishment but the actual machine that does the printingPrincipal vs principleWhat does 'a good point' mean?What does clock mean?'any tea' vs 'some tea'View versus gap