not real; fanciful
legitimate
swift
imaginary
pushy

It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'

Industry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure? | Phrase: Passengers are required to produce appropriate
It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...' #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 12, 2009 14:45 pm   It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Chit Chat: In the supermarket", question 1

Employee: Are you ......... problems, madam?

(a) feeling
(b) trying
(c) having
(d) knowing

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Chit Chat: In the supermarket", answer 1

Employee: Are you having problems, madam?

Correct answer: (c) having
_________________________

it sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...', but the other verbs do not fit, right?
Ecaterina

It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...' #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 12, 2009 15:28 pm   It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'

1) Are you having any problems, ma'am?

I, too, think that it sounds awkward as I used to hear --

2) Do you have any problem, ma'am?

Which is correct and which sounds good?
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...' #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 13, 2009 18:32 pm   It sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'

Hi Gray

Assuming that the context is that a store employee has noticed a woman who appears to be experiencing difficulties doing or finding something, then the use of "are you having" is quite appropriate. Your suggestion "Do you have any problem" would not be natural in that context.

The word that seems quite odd to me is the use of "madam". I would not expect that word to be used in such a sentence on the American side of the pond. Ma'am would sound much more natural to me.

All the best,

__________________
ESL teacher, translator, native speaker of American English
AmYankee

What is the meaning of chives?Making mistakes when writing?literally vs accuratelyWhat does prowling mean?Expression: a special language for childrenhow come can use "to seeing"?The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these wordsPress is not the establishment but the actual machine that does the printingPrincipal vs principleWhat does 'a good point' mean?What does clock mean?'any tea' vs 'some tea'View versus gap