of public funds; of or pertaining to money matters
potential
fiscal
supportive
remote

What do you mean by Joneses?

I am unsure but is it possible that 'my' should in fact be "me"? | Why the prep "at" isn't suitable?
What do you mean by Joneses? #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 17, 2009 22:42 pm   What do you mean by Joneses?

English Idioms and Expressions, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Just keep it", question 8

His problem really was that he had tried very hard to be as successful as the rest of the people in his street by trying to keep up with the Joneses.

(a) to remain on the same social level as his neighbours
(b) to run as fast as his neighbours
(c) to travel at the same speed as his neighbours
(d) to reach the same place as his neighbours

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Just keep it", answer 8

His problem really was that he had tried very hard to be as successful as the rest of the people in his street by trying to remain on the same social level as his neighbours.

Correct answer: (a) to remain on the same social level as his neighbours
_________________________

what do you mean by Joneses?

Romal
Romal

What do you mean by Joneses? #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:11 am   What do you mean by Joneses?

.
The members of the Jones family.
.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What do you mean by Joneses? #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 25, 2009 14:39 pm   What do you mean by Joneses?

keep up with the Joneses ( = try to have the same new, impressive possessions that other people have)
Nato308

Phrase 'Make yourself comfortable'what is commercial accounting? its importance and purpose?What are the corporate social responsibilities taken up by retail market?contortionist vs. jugglerMeaning of "physical supply chain"What is the meaning of gasket?"I am at hire" vs "I am for hire""out at sea" vs "out for sea"Difference between skating and skiingMeaning of the phrase "make people's day"need doing vs. needs to doA question for native speakers of English.What's the meaning of batting an eyelid?