person who belongs to an organization or group; part; organ
member
locksmith
gain
manager

Is the sentence Books are food for the brain a idiom?

Why who's in the sentences: Who's the highest... | Usage of consider
Is the sentence Books are food for the brain a idiom? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 25, 2009 23:21 pm   Is the sentence Books are food for the brain a idiom?

"My friend has a car that I am thinking about buying. Could you inspect it for me to see if there are any mechanical problems with it and if it is worth buying?" Chris asked his best friend. Paul responded, "I don't have a lot of time in the next while to give it a detailed inspection but I can give it a once-......... for you and tell you if I see anything grossly wrong with it."

(a) ever
(b) gazer
(c) peak
(d) over

"My friend has a car that I am thinking about buying. Could you inspect it for me to see if there are any mechanical problems with it and if it is worth buying?" Chris asked his best friend. Paul responded, "I don't have a lot of time in the next while to give it a detailed inspection but I can give it a once-over for you and tell you if I see anything grossly wrong with it."

Correct answer: (d) over
_________________________

Ilia
Ilia

Is the sentence Books are food for the brain a idiom? #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:19 am   Is the sentence Books are food for the brain a idiom?

.
It is a metaphor, not an idiom.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What does "ties" mean?Stop using ( i ) when referring to yourself.'making money' vs 'doing money''look after'/'look out for' have a close meaning. Why the former cannot be used?Bacon and ...?What is the difference between "initiative" and "initial"?producing delightful aftertaste?How can I realize if the question is right?Use the term 'going chalk' to describe a person who picks all of...Why not to say "milk and cookies"?What does "lips me off" mean?Meaning of "To strong arm"What does "thumbs" mean?