Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to buy; to obtain; to purchase; to attain
arrange
climb
acquire
peddle
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'without fail'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does postpone mean? | How can I use "sense"? And when is a proper?
listening exercises
Meaning of 'without fail' #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2005 16:19 pm   Meaning of 'without fail'

Test No. errors/advan-10 "Late at the Office", question 4

Ms Primshaw checked the book at the end of each month and without failing Mary's signature was always below the line.

(a) checked
(b) at
(c) failing
(d) below

Test No. errors/advan-10 "Late at the Office", answer 4

Ms Primshaw checked the book at the end of each month and without fail Mary's signature was always below the line.

Correct entry: fail
The error was: (c) failing

recognizing?

ralpho
ralpho

Meaning of 'without fail' #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2005 17:54 pm   Meaning of 'without fail'

This means you could always rely on this.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'without fail' #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:59 am   Meaning of 'without fail'

Why fail and not failing? is failing wrong, if so why?
David1999
You can meet me at english-test.net

Meaning of 'without fail' #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:44 am   Meaning of 'without fail'

Hi,

'Without fail' is a set expression suggesting that something was sure to happen. 'Fail' in this sense is a noun. If you change this to 'without failing' and use the word as a verb, you would have to either suggest or indicate some kind inability to succeed. You would ask: Without failing to do what? Or it could mean 'without being successful. Both these meanings would not equate to the expression 'without fail'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of 'without fail' #5 (permalink) Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:52 am   Meaning of 'without fail'

Thanks for your very clear explanation ^^
Juna2020
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does postpone mean? | How can I use "sense"? And when is a proper?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Why are fewer companies offering pension plans to retirees? Isn't it unfair?What does Prime rate mean?What does back bonnet mean?to bump smb. to death means to attack and hurt?Why are ants very strong?Out of date?Does the "order" mean the position for which the candidat is appling?What is the meaning by saying the team chemistry of the group?What does "entails of the details" mean?"Me either" usagenatural rights, moral rightsThe sorts of support which the firm could giveWhat does put on hold mean?