to give one thing in return for another; to replace one thing with another; to trade; to barter
exchange
mobilize
trust
instance

What does 'cold turkey' mean?

What is the meaning of 'Bought in'? | He doesn't live her anymore?
What does 'cold turkey' mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 02, 2009 19:15 pm   What does 'cold turkey' mean?

Quitting smoking is very hard. I quit a year ago, cold .........: no patch, no gum, nothing -- and it was horrible.

(a) shoulder
(b) turkey
(c) cuts
(d) breeze

Quitting smoking is very hard. I quit a year ago, cold turkey: no patch, no gum, nothing -- and it was horrible.

Correct answer: (b) turkey
_________________________

what is a turkey?

nikita
nikitan

What does 'cold turkey' mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 02, 2009 20:08 pm   What does 'cold turkey' mean?

Hi Nikita,
"Cold turkey" is a common expression that refers to the complete and immediate withdrawal or cessation of something that someone is addicted to (like cigarettes and other addictive substances.)
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Pick out vs. pick in?What does collar mean?What does place setting mean?Is "thumble" the eqivalent of "hitch-hike'?What are halestones?Whom send Canadian woman at school?'opposite to the bread' vs 'opposite the bread'Sentences with the word 'chariot'?signing on behalf of someone else... "in lieu of" or "per"what is FOB?exact vs. exactlywhat is the meaning of distributive pronouns?meaning of gross