Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

honest; sincere; straightforward; open; candid
subsidiary
gifted
swift
frank
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Usage of air conditioners | What is the difference between before and in front of?
listening exercises
Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles? #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 07, 2009 13:11 pm   Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #117 "Weather Test (4)", question 9

......... fall from the sky in the winter months. Each one is unique, beautiful and intricately designed by Mother Nature.

(a) Hailstones
(b) Icicles
(c) Snowflakes

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #117 "Weather Test (4)", answer 9

Snowflakes fall from the sky in the winter months. Each one is unique, beautiful and intricately designed by Mother Nature.

Correct answer: (c) Snowflakes

Your answer was: correct

what are the differences between these words snowflakes ,hailstones and icicles?
I live in Egypt and we have no snow or icicles but I hope to know them in detail
thanks
sasooo
Sasooo
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 07, 2009 16:14 pm   Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles?

Snowflakes are crystallised water in the shape of flakes, and can be very beautiful when seen under a microscope.

Hailstones are frozen droplets, and can be quite large.

Icicles are lengths of frozen suspended water, which hang from surfaces.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles? #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 25, 2009 20:16 pm   Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles?

Hi Teachers

Is there any difference in connotation between intricate and sophisticated:
An intricate/ a sophisticated system/design/pattern etc.

Thanks
Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

Usage of air conditioners | What is the difference between before and in front of?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
decay vs. rot"Earlier XYZ&Co." or "Formerly XYZ&Co."Why doesn't the answer "do dancing"?It could be "I think I just want to stay at home this weekend"?Could we say "It comes between February and December"?Could we say "His birthday is on the next Saturday?"Could we say 'Store Clerk: Sure. If I order some more today, they should have...'Warmest season vs. hottest seasonWhat does Landmarks mean?You can't miss it because it is enormous. vs You can't avoid it because it is...haven't forgotten -- present perfectWhy 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym'