to make a graph; to draw; to diagram
flaw
earn
chart
invent

Difference between say and tell

I'm starting to get angry? | Verb missing in your choice
Difference between say and tell #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 11, 2005 20:09 pm   Difference between say and tell

Test No. incompl/elem-20 "Where am I?", question 9

Why do you ......... that?

(a) tell
(b) announce
(c) say
(d) speak

Test No. incompl/elem-20 "Where am I?", answer 9

Why do you say that?

Correct answer: (c) say
_________________________

i wonder if u could tell me why didn't you use tell or announce however they seem correct, please.
mohammad

Difference between say and tell #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 11, 2005 20:17 pm   Difference between say and tell

Here you need say because we are referring to the words spoken. Tell usually has an object as in Tell me where I should go. Announce is too formal because it is a word used to describe an important statement. The committe will announce the name of the winners.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between say and tell #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2008 19:36 pm   Difference between say and tell

thanks for the explanations.
Gerson

Difference between say and tell #4 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2008 19:37 pm   Difference between say and tell

You're welcome ;-).

TOEIC listening, photographs: The warehouse

Difference between say and tell #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 06, 2010 18:08 pm   Difference between say and tell

thanks,i understand you
Katty8888

Difference between say and tell #6 (permalink) Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:13 am   Difference between say and tell

hi.. i think i need more explanation, because i saw some sentences what use tell with somethings to refer.
Rabiei

Location: Iran

Difference between say and tell #7 (permalink) Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:37 am   Difference between say and tell

Hello Rabiei,

Perhaps next time you see an example of that you could post it here, then we will be able to help you understand it.
_________________

Difference between say and tell #8 (permalink) Fri Jan 21, 2011 17:40 pm   Difference between say and tell

some pupils says they have ring the bell but its only one person that held the bell,what is the correct sentence?
Figola

Difference between say and tell #9 (permalink) Sat Jan 22, 2011 0:12 am   Difference between say and tell

Some pupils say that they have rung the bell.
Some pupils say that the bell has been rung.
_________________

Difference between say and tell #10 (permalink) Thu May 05, 2011 22:15 pm   Difference between say and tell

Thanks for the explanation.
Tabtihouria

find and corecctI want to do something to be in everybody's eye?broke, bankrupt and moreadmit ofcome of vs come fromall-you-can-eatDoes enamored mean to be in love?What does 'in that case' mean?What has kept them vs. what has held them"on 23 April" vs. "at 23 April"Meaning of cliche / clichesWhat does engage mean?Why is would wrong?