management of resources (i.e. money, goods, etc.); thrift; careful spending
due
situation
counter
economy

Idiom 'grin and bear it'

Bearing in mind? | Is the word "screw up" a phrasal verb?
Idiom 'grin and bear it' #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 09, 2009 22:51 pm   Idiom 'grin and bear it'

ESL/EFL Test #69 "Bearing Information", question 6

There is really nothing much you can do to stop it and I'm afraid you'll just have to ......... and bear it.

(a) scorn
(b) grin
(c) laugh
(d) smile

ESL/EFL Test #69 "Bearing Information", answer 6

There is really nothing much you can do to stop it and I'm afraid you'll just have to grin and bear it.

Correct answer: (b) grin

There is really nothing much you can do to stop it and I'm afraid you'll just have to scorn and bear it.
_________________________

Dear teachers,
Why it`s "scorn" impossible? I though, " scorn" could be belong to "I`m afraid" in this phrase?
Marianne
Marianne M.

Idiom 'grin and bear it' #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:57 am   Idiom 'grin and bear it'

.
The idiom is 'grin and bear it', which means endure it equitably. 'Scorn' is irrelevant.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What does the phrasal verb 'take down' mean?What does "starred" mean?Difference between less and few?describing vs descriptionDifference between voice and sound?Meaning of extensionMeaning of pulling off, pulling out, pulling through and pulling inWhat is reference group influence?What does spun mean?What does 'to be sore on Monday' mean?why do we use sets?Pick out vs. pick in?What does collar mean?