to impose a tariff; to impose a levy; to burden; to demand too much
remember
tax
floor
provision

Singular and plural: Twenty galons of water is a lot of to carry...

Prepositions of place: (I live at 21 White Street) | Usage of percentile (The average GPA of accepted applicants generally falls...)
Singular and plural: Twenty galons of water is a lot of to carry... #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:48 pm   Singular and plural: Twenty galons of water is a lot of to carry...

hi,

the followoing some examples that I don't understand it:
It was peter's friends.........

friends is plural ,right? okay, why it must used was not were?

another ex.:
twenty galons of water is a lot of to carry
twenty galons !!!!!!!!! why is ?

many thanks
Huda2

singular and plural #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 11, 2009 23:04 pm   singular and plural

In "It was Peter's friends." the subject is the singular pronoun 'It'. English uses 'it' without a specific referent as a 'functor' word to, for example, describe a situation. Another example is "It is raining.". The question of agreement in number between a singular subject and a plural predicate nominative is much more complex.

"Twenty gallons of water" is treated as a quantity of water. Water is not numerable (countable), although, of course, gallons are. If you refer to a quantity of something numerable and think of each of them individually--like coins in your pocket--use a plural verb. If you think of the collection as one bunch or lump (like a million dollars), use the singular. British English treats collectives, like a committee, as plural more often than American English does.
Jlupine

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Phrase "On your day, I am missing you again"Finding subject : Some confusion.Remain unchanged OR Remained unchanged OR Remain to be changedWhen I should use "that" or "which"?Adjective is associated with -ed or with -ingabove-mentioned OR mentioned-aboveover/on the phoneGo to the phone shop and get easyload of Ufone for 300 rupeesverb or noun? (for the president of the United States, wisly chooses cabinet me)How to read a model name has a hyphen in it?Meaning of excitingSentence: If this PC gets off once It will not get on again.Usage of despite and although