Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

request; plea; petition for a new trial or judgment
appeal
office
vegetable
opportunity
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Telling stories? | more interesting vs. most interesting
listening exercises
cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:25 pm   cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #55 "Hear my Story", question 6

To ......... a long story short, I'll come straight to the point and tell you exactly what happened.

(a) cut
(b) reduce
(c) snip
(d) curtail

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #55 "Hear my Story", answer 6

To cut a long story short, I'll come straight to the point and tell you exactly what happened.

Correct answer: (a) cut

what's different between these verbs?

zilanow
Zilanow

cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:36 am   cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail

The - DICTIONARY will give you the definitions, with examples, of all these verbs, but the point here is that 'to cut a long story/tale short' is a fixed expression, so only 'cut' will serve.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 21, 2010 18:53 pm   cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail

Why not the word reduce? it is not the same expression??
Marisita
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:21 am   cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtail

I think I just explained that 'cut...short' is a fixed expression, but in any case, 'reduce...short' does not work grammatically. 'Reduce' cannot take a verb complement like that adjective.

Telling stories? | more interesting vs. most interesting
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
cover all of your bases?constantly turning your headfall deeply in love.It will come as no surpriseCheck my sentenceExchanging ideias by skypeby appointment onlyDoes to come on the heels mean to be a forerunner?How to translate the word 'parro' into English?action vs actDifference between 'on time' and 'about time'The critics continue to praiseTest of time and meaning of duration