Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to bother; to trouble; to disturb; to upset
annoy
excel
evoke
assemble
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between narrative and discriptive

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Phrase: compromise and set menu | How can we improve our English as fast as possible?
listening exercises
Difference between narrative and discriptive #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:46 am   Difference between narrative and discriptive

what is the difference between a narrative and discriptive
Mod

experts give me an advice #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:36 am   experts give me an advice

Effective description creates a dominant impression, a mood, or an atmosphere that reinforces a writer's central purpose. While narrative tends to naturally include some description, and many descriptive pieces rely on narratives as anecdotes, illustrations, support for ideas, narrative presents action.

Jonathan Raban's "Land of Cockaigne" traced the writer's trajectory through the Florida Keys, but the narrative acted as an organizing thread that enabled Raban to mull over the Keys' topography, history, and resident characters, charlatans, and drug runners. Similarly, Oliver Sacks' "The Last Hippie," used Greg's case history to reflect on Greg's mental defecits to arrive at conclusions about the role of the frontal lobe in human cognition and behaviour.

Try Google. I did.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between narrative and discriptive #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:09 am   Difference between narrative and discriptive

Description gives you details.

Narrative tells the story.

The narrative is done by a character, and may give you a description, but not always.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between narrative and discriptive #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:13 am   Difference between narrative and discriptive

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

429 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Mod,

I think first you have to make a comparison between two similar types of words. Narrative and description are the two nouns.

'Narrative' is a story and 'description' is an account in detail of something. A novel can be an exciting narrative. An account of what a building looks like can be a detailed description.

There there are the two adjectives: narrative (the same spelling as the noun) and descriptive. We can apply both these adjectives to the noun 'poetry' (poems). We can say 'narrative poetry' and mean poetry that tells a story. We can also say 'descriptive poetry' that gives a detailed account of things.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Phrase: compromise and set menu | How can we improve our English as fast as possible?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Letter: How is your family getting on? If you can send your family photograph...Induction: Thank you for your interest in this job in order to complete your...she has built or she built?argentinean or argentine'of Europe' vs 'from Europe'I don't know what to say to my baby as I want to explain what I'm doing?Phrase "On your day, I am missing you again"Finding subject : Some confusion.You shouldn't bring/press/prefer false charges against a chaste womanWhy can I help you in English? Does it make sense?Remain unchanged OR Remained unchanged OR Remain to be changedWhen I should use "that" or "which"?Adjective is associated with -ed or with -ing