under; beneath; underneath
apart
below
until
throughout

Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'?

dancing on my grave | Its meaning? (The Dodo bird)
Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'? #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:24 am   Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'?

ESL/EFL Test #95 "auxiliary verbs: was, did, have", question 5

......... it raining when you left your office this afternoon?

(a) Was
(b) Were
(c) Did
(d) Had

ESL/EFL Test #95 "auxiliary verbs: was, did, have", answer 5

Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon?

Correct answer: (a) Was

Did it raining when you left your office this afternoon?
_________________________

why is not did?

antonio l.
antonio l.

Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'? #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:14 pm   Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'?

Hi Antonio,

If you use the simple past, it would be: Did it rain? In the test sentence the verb must be past continuous: ......... it raining when you left your office this afternoon?

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Re: will it raining when you leave your office this afternoon? #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:39 am   Re: will it raining when you leave your office this afternoon?

Hi Antonio,

Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? is this conditional sentence?
I do not know when to use this sentence in its context.
I think: 'Will it raining when you leave your office this afternoon? ' (I Suppose Now is morning, and I ask my colleague in my office)
Baotet

Location: Halong

Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'? #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:09 am   Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'?

Hi Baotet,

As Alan says, the sentence 'Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon?' is past continuous.
Here the past continuous (was it raining) is used together with the past simple tense (you left).
The past continuous refers to a "longer" or "background" action that was in progress; the past simple refers to a shorter action that interrupted the longer action, or happened in the middle of it.
Here are some more examples of this use of the past continuous tense:
He was walking to the office when he met John.
She was drinking when the phone rang.
While I was working in the garage, I heard a woman scream.

Find out about other uses of the past continuous tense here.

_______________

To use 'will' turns this sentence into a sentence about the future. You would have to say,
"Will it be raining when you leave the office this afternoon?" which is a very odd question, because no-one would be able to answer that with any certainty, as it hasn't happened yet.
_________________

Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'? #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:13 am   Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'?

Beeesneees wrote:
Hi Baotet,

Hi Beeesneees,
It had rained from 13:00 to 15:00. B left office to go home at 16:00. A asked B that 'Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon?'. B can answer: Yes, it was or No, it wasn't. it depend on he got rain or not.
Thank you!
Baotet

Location: Halong

Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'? #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:30 am   Did/Was it raining when you left your office this afternoon? Why not 'did'?

Yes, but that is after the rain fell, using 'was it'. Using 'will it be' as you suggested earlier makes it an odd question. as it is a future event.
_________________

dead as a doornaildead as a dododead and burieddead air.many ingenious inventions.accounting for this lossAn error in validitymaterially valid, complete and accurate.don't complain about previous jobsstandard deductionsa fiscal period.daylight robberyhourly wage