Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

topic; subject; matter; question; problem; publication
interviewer
issue
artisan
earnings
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Phrase: I'm going to take you out to the woodshed

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between "Therefore" and "As a result"? | Yes, he goes everywhere with me. vs Yes, he goes nowhere with me.
listening exercises
Phrase: I'm going to take you out to the woodshed #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 27, 2009 15:55 pm   Phrase: I'm going to take you out to the woodshed

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #686 "English Slang Idioms (428)", question 5

"If you talk back to me one more time, I'm going to take you out to the .........," Bill threatened his son.

(a) barnyard
(b) woodshed
(c) outhouse
(d) pigpen

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #686 "English Slang Idioms (428)", answer 5

"If you talk back to me one more time, I'm going to take you out to the woodshed," Bill threatened his son.

Correct answer: (b) woodshed

Terrible question. I am a native Englishman (and an Oxford graduate) and haven't a clue which of these is right.

English Native
English Native

Phrase: I'm going to take you out to the woodshed #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 27, 2009 16:04 pm   Phrase: I'm going to take you out to the woodshed

You never are.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Means that his Father was going to give him a thrashing for being so damned cheeky.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Phrase: I'm going to take you out to the woodshed #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:33 am   Phrase: I'm going to take you out to the woodshed

For some reason, the woodshed is associated with both punishments, and musical practice.

I'm not sure why the woodshed would be any more preferred over any other external building for punishment or musical practice.

Perhaps musical practice would disturb livestock in a barn, and a woodshed might be a ready source of branches for whipping? Perhaps a woodshed is more isolated than a barn.

The stacked wood would also serve as a damper for the sound vibrations, so the sounds of beatings and musical notes wouldn't carry as far.

These are just silly theories on my part. I'm not sure of the actual etymology of these phrases.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between "Therefore" and "As a result"? | Yes, he goes everywhere with me. vs Yes, he goes nowhere with me.
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does disagreeable mean?Meaning of attireDifference between summit and foothill'Go over the railroad tracks' vs 'Go back the railroad tracks'Apprenticeship or Institutionwhat does "for two pins" mean?What does thumbed mean?all-nighter vs apprenticeshipHow the family influenced the decision of the individual purchase?Meaning of "Out of the question"Sentence: Marked trails are designated nature paths or roads.Meaning of rangerwhat does kneed mean?