vacation; time off; permission to be absent; departure; farewell
revenue
title
donation
leave

Apprenticeship or Institution

'Go over the railroad tracks' vs 'Go back the railroad tracks' | Difference between summit and foothill
Apprenticeship or Institution #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 29, 2009 19:13 pm   Apprenticeship or Institution

ESL/EFL Test #593 "Real Life: Post-Secondary Education (2)", question 1

An ......... is a specific, and usually hands-on, type of training that is taught over a period of time within a certain art or trade field. This type of training involves students who become skilled via on-the-job training.

(a) minor
(b) facility
(c) apprenticeship
(d) institution

ESL/EFL Test #593 "Real Life: Post-Secondary Education (2)", answer 1

An apprenticeship is a specific, and usually hands-on, type of training that is taught over a period of time within a certain art or trade field. This type of training involves students who become skilled via on-the-job training.

Correct answer: (c) apprenticeship

An institution is a specific, and usually hands-on, type of training that is taught over a period of time within a certain art or trade field. This type of training involves students who become skilled via on-the-job training.
_________________________

Correct answer: (c) apprenticeship

Why we can't use institution in this case?
Aryam

Location: Sweet Moon

Apprenticeship or Institution #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 29, 2009 19:58 pm   Apprenticeship or Institution

In this sentence, an institution would mean a company or organization, so it doesn't make any sense with the definition given by the sentence.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Apprenticeship or Institution #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 30, 2009 16:46 pm   Apprenticeship or Institution

Skrej wrote:
In this sentence, an institution would mean a company or organization, so it doesn't many sense with the definition given by the sentence.

I see now the difference between both
Thank you for your explanation
Aryam

Location: Sweet Moon

What is the meaning of sublet?What does "sme business" mean?What are the introduction to secretarial procdures in an electronic offices?What does a teacher do?What does disagreeable mean?What does 'donkey work' mean?What does 'quite a prune' mean?Meaning of attireDifference between "Therefore" and "As a result"?what does "for two pins" mean?What does thumbed mean?Phrase: I'm going to take you out to the woodshedYes, he goes everywhere with me. vs Yes, he goes nowhere with me.