Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

invaluable; beyond any expressible value; very expensive
bothersome
genuine
priceless
confidential
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The British are a hardworking nation.

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Got to vs. have/has to? | Which one is correct? - ...the time and day that suits your daily schedule.
listening exercises
The British are a hardworking nation. #1 (permalink) Sat May 09, 2009 16:13 pm   The British are a hardworking nation.

I'd appreciate it if someone would answer my questions. Thanks in advance.

Concerning the sentence: The British are a hardworking nation.

Is "the British" used in general sentences like this, instead of "British people" only when you are conscious of other nations, such as American people, French people, Canadian people, ------?
Magic Dragon
I'm here quite often ;-)

The British are a hardworking nation. #2 (permalink) Sat May 09, 2009 16:15 pm   The British are a hardworking nation.

No, 'the British' is fine in that context. You could talk the same about 'the Germans', 'the Canadians', 'the Americans', and so on.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
The British are a hardworking nation. #3 (permalink) Sat May 09, 2009 17:14 pm   The British are a hardworking nation.

Hi, Shyone. I'd like to ask you what the difference between "the British" and "British people" is? What's your idea?
Magic Dragon
I'm here quite often ;-)

The British are a hardworking nation. #4 (permalink) Sat May 09, 2009 17:45 pm   The British are a hardworking nation.

While 'the British' refers to the British as a nation in general, 'British people' refers to many of them, but not all.

The British are a hardworking nation. #5 (permalink) Sun May 10, 2009 10:30 am   The British are a hardworking nation.

Hi, Shyone.-Do you mean 'British people' doesn't refer to a whole nation?

-Do you mean 'the British' is used in general sentences, while 'British people' is used in specific sentences?
Magic Dragon
I'm here quite often ;-)

The British are a hardworking nation. #6 (permalink) Sun May 10, 2009 11:16 am   The British are a hardworking nation.

Many foreign speakers of English have a problem with using "people" when talking about nations or members of nations. It drives me crazy, and I try to get my students to stop it, but they don't, even though I'm sure they don't do it in their own languages.

"The American people" or "the Americans" means the whole American nation.
"Americans" is how we refer to American individuals in general, or some of them. We don't say "American people".

"The British people" or "the British" is how we refer to the entire British nation.
"British people" is how we refer British individuals in general, or some but not all of them.

"The Canadian people" or "the Canadians" is how we refer to the entire Canadian nation.
"Canadians" is how we say Canadian individuals in general, or some of them. We don't say "Canadian people".

It's the same thing with:

The German people - the Germans - Germans
The Italian people - the Italians - Italians
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

The British are a hardworking nation. #7 (permalink) Sun May 10, 2009 12:26 pm   The British are a hardworking nation.

I see very much. Thank you.
Magic Dragon
I'm here quite often ;-)

The British are a hardworking nation. #8 (permalink) Sun May 10, 2009 16:26 pm   The British are a hardworking nation.

To add a touch of humour:-

" The British are a hard-working nation. " That is, the one's who have a job.

The British are a hardworking nation. #9 (permalink) Sun May 10, 2009 17:49 pm   The British are a hardworking nation.

Kitosdad wrote:
To add a touch of humour:-

" The British are a hard-working nation. " That is, the one's who have a job.

Typo. The ones who have a job.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

The British are a hardworking nation. #10 (permalink) Sun May 10, 2009 18:40 pm   The British are a hardworking nation.

I stand corrected. Many thanks Jamie.

Got to vs. have/has to? | Which one is correct? - ...the time and day that suits your daily schedule.
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Sentence: Outside the school, students still have to behave the same way as...Simple English: Management must then carefully document their businesses...How many reductions are there in English? E.g reduction of relative clauses.What does Top editor mean? Is it different from "senior editor"?Usage of total: My total life mission is to transform the consciousness of..."The power is back." OR "The electricity is back."commit and dedicateThis life came so close...Run-on Sentences"in the last weeks" or "over the last weeks"Meaning of "cried off" ... CancelledWrite Someone vs Write To SomeonePunctuation: Putting a comma before any form of address is a well-known rule...