to write a statement of purchases; to make a bill of sale
coin
page
invest
receipt

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

'Would you like some more tea?' vs. 'Do you like some more tea?' | The job got easier vs. the job became easier?
Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #1 (permalink) Mon May 11, 2009 8:10 am   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

ESL/EFL Test #124 "Real Life: Accessories and Clothing (1)", question 4

Both men and women wear shirts on their ..........

(a) necks
(b) feet
(c) backs
(d) eyes

ESL/EFL Test #124 "Real Life: Accessories and Clothing (1)", answer 4

Both men and women wear shirts on their backs.

Correct answer: (c) backs

_________________________

Hello.
I'd like to ask the explanation for the answer. Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?
Thanks for your explanation.
Eirene

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #2 (permalink) Mon May 11, 2009 8:21 am   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

Yes it is, but a very confusing one, as your question illustrates. Body would have been preferable.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 08, 2010 20:47 pm   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

it`s the seventh time i have to recognise that given answers were switched ( here : backs vs. bodies ). And this is very annoying as a general rule clearly points out that it`s totally confusing for candidates categorized as "beginners" - and thereupon nobody cares and answers.
Carlsoak

Location: Hannover Germany, Pittsburgh USA, London UK

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #4 (permalink) Mon Feb 08, 2010 21:00 pm   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

back = totally wrong . who has had the idea to place this answer into the multiple choice tableau ? back = the backside of a body. thats it and the people wear halved shirts - an interesting fashion feature for the upcoming summer season. ridiculuos, abusively
Carlsoak

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #5 (permalink) Tue Feb 09, 2010 21:59 pm   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

I don't think "backs" is wrong here.
Example: "He loves me so much that he would give me the shirt off his back."
This is a very common idiom.
Body indicates a larger area. Your body entails your back, chest, head, feet, buttocks etc.
And, I'm not sure what Carlsoak is referring to here. Back and bodies have not been switched (as far as I can see).
_________________

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #6 (permalink) Tue Feb 09, 2010 22:25 pm   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

Body indicates a larger area. i agree with this argument at all. but elementary categorised users unfortunately don`t know a lot of very common
idioms.
Carlsoak

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #7 (permalink) Tue Feb 09, 2010 22:36 pm   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

That's why Linda wrote this test and that's why she answering your questions.

TOEIC short conversations: Two friends update each other on their schedules

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #8 (permalink) Tue Feb 09, 2010 22:39 pm   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

Elementary users are confused because they don't know the English language well. The point of these tests is to choose the best answer out of the choices that you are given and then study and learn from the questions and the correct answers. "Backs" is the right answer (even when compared to body as well as the other options given). "Body" is too general and is, therefore, a very confusing option. It doesn't even give users a clue about where "a shirt" might go on the body.
_________________

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #9 (permalink) Tue Feb 09, 2010 23:50 pm   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

That whole thing is definitely weird as you wear a shirt on your torso, not just your back (that would be a quite tricky thing to accomplish).
_________________
There's no such thing as an exception to the rule...

My blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
OxfordBlues

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #10 (permalink) Wed Feb 10, 2010 0:15 am   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

True - you do wear shirts on your torso. However, in English, native speakers do say "take the shirt off my back," for example.
_________________

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #11 (permalink) Wed Feb 10, 2010 0:19 am   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

This is true, but the idea of selecting a best answer when none are correct has always seemed quite absurd to me. It would probably be best to remove this question or reword it entirely.
_________________

OxfordBlues

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #12 (permalink) Wed Feb 10, 2010 0:22 am   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

Example of this used in the headline of a recent article:
"Giving back by putting shirts on backs of Haitians"
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 7:04 PM PST Updated: Jan 27, 2010 6:24 AM PST"

Here's another advertisement:
"T-shirts from Breckenridge and Keystone, Colorado!
Welcome to The Shirt Off My Back. We have incredible Colorado, Breckenridge, and Keystone silk-screened and embroidered t-shirts....."

Shirts are also often advertised with terms such as "low-cut backs....." etc.
_________________

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #13 (permalink) Wed Feb 10, 2010 0:24 am   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

There is a correct answer (in my opinion). I don't think that removing the entire question or re-wording it is necessary.
_________________

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #14 (permalink) Wed Feb 10, 2010 0:25 am   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

Yes but these are plays on the idiomatic usage of 'the shirt off one's back". This question is not in idiomatic form. One of the most challenging things about writing tests and exercises is making sure that there is only one correct answer; this question fails to pass muster in that regard.
_________________

OxfordBlues

Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'? #15 (permalink) Wed Feb 10, 2010 0:26 am   Why is the answer 'backs'? Is is the substitute for 'body'?

I don't agree. A shirt does rest on a person's back. Therefore, they are worn a person's back. So, there is a correct answer.
_________________

But to each to his own - I guess the second "to" is a typo.To be in the hen house"Coming to call"'Who' is a relative pronoun and is used to begin relative clauses...At the end of the day?newborn vs toddlerpuppies vs cubsall the body parts can be a verb?When i breathe with my mouth and lungs i take air into my lungs and inhale...Define export potential'A few' for countable nouns.On the horizon vs under the horizon.About feline also meaning of this word Is there any animal belongs to?