Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

stand; booth; pen; pretext to delay
apparel
stall
disease
yield
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

This test works are hard

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Relative pronouns | one of his cock and bull stories...
listening exercises
This test works are hard #1 (permalink) Thu May 21, 2009 20:01 pm   This test works are hard

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #283 "English Slang Idioms (5)", question 1

Mark is always eager to argue about how this business should be run. He seems to have a real ......... on his shoulder about it.

(a) head
(b) chip
(c) sore
(d) bluebird

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #283 "English Slang Idioms (5)", answer 1

Mark is always eager to argue about how this business should be run. He seems to have a real chip on his shoulder about it.

Correct answer: (b) chip

this test works are hard.

Excel
Excel

This test works are hard #2 (permalink) Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am   This test works are hard

If you are to excel, then you must study more.

He excels in most sports.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
This test works are hard #3 (permalink) Sat May 01, 2010 9:22 am   This test works are hard

Everyone who doesn't get it would appreciate it to find an explanation to the phrase have a real chip on the shoulder about something
The only slightly resembling phrase I found in my dictionaries: be a chip of the old block = to be like a father
I'm here quite often ;-)

This test works are hard #4 (permalink) Sat May 01, 2010 9:37 am   This test works are hard

Good morning Gheon. You did note that the question was a year old, and the reply was my abysmal attempt at humour.

The phrase refers to someone who has a particular dislike to someone or something at most times of the days. Most often argumentative, and sometimes aggressive.

This test works are hard #5 (permalink) Sat May 01, 2010 10:16 am   This test works are hard

Hi Gheon,

If you have a chip on your shoulder, it suggests that you have some kind of inferiority complex and that causes your to show resentment and aggression. In the test sentence 'real chip' gives the idea that this resentment is very active. Apparently there was an American custom whereby a young man would place a block of wood on his shoulder and challenge anyone to knock it off.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

This test works are hard #6 (permalink) Sun May 02, 2010 8:17 am   This test works are hard

Kitosdad wrote:
Good morning Gheon. You did note that the question was a year old, and the reply was my abysmal attempt at humour.

The phrase refers to someone who has a particular dislike to someone or something at most times of the days. Most often argumentative, and sometimes aggressive.

Sure, I did. But, still was curious about it. Anyway, thanks to you, Sahibs, for your comprehensive & irrefragable answers ;)
I'm here quite often ;-)

Test and other things #7 (permalink) Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:03 am   Test and other things

Dear Alan,

If you receive today this letter please see my progress report, because today maybe you can see that I did today the tests what I had done yesterday and few month ago. Not only my photos had been deleted from the score -board but there isn't trace the date of the day yesterday when I did again these tests. He deleted the date also.
Maybe today you can find it.
Many thanks:
kati svaby

This test works are hard #8 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:44 pm   This test works are hard

Hello Gheon,

Here an example, from Free dictionary:
Even though he went university he always had a chip om his shoulder about his upbringing.

An explanation from the Oxford dictionary:to be sensitive about something that happened in the past and become easily offended if it is mentioned because you think that you were treated unfairly.

By: Kati

Relative pronouns | one of his cock and bull stories...
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
She needs wateras strong as its weakest link.a fool and his moneya day late and a dollar shortat a discountgrammarhe had taken the right decisionI got my mojo workin'sticking my neck outDon't you think that's a bit much?fool's gold is the name of iron pyrites...Phrase: It might rain tomorrow.Meaning of "Do you take it?"