occurring once a year; yearly
secret
formatted
committed
annual

What does "piles" mean?

Idiom: next to nothing | What does inaccurate mean?
What does "piles" mean? #1 (permalink) Mon May 25, 2009 6:23 am   What does "piles" mean?

ESL/EFL Test #595 "Real Life: Hiking and The Great Outdoors (1)", question 6

My mother-in-law lives near the ......... in Nevada. This area usually refers to low-lying areas directly by or in the vicinity of the bottom area or foot of a mountain range.

(a) piles
(b) heaps
(c) foothills
(d) peaks

ESL/EFL Test #595 "Real Life: Hiking and The Great Outdoors (1)", answer 6

My mother-in-law lives near the foothills in Nevada. This area usually refers to low-lying areas directly by or in the vicinity of the bottom area or foot of a mountain range.

Correct answer: (c) foothills
_________________________

what do "piles" mean?

Membra
Membra

What does "piles" mean? #2 (permalink) Mon May 25, 2009 7:47 am   What does "piles" mean?

.
Look up the singular, 'pile', in your dictionary. None of its meanings is appropriate in this sentence.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between solitary and lonelyI didn't understand why the verb to be is in this setence!What is a janitor?What is the meaning of "looking after"?Question tag: isn't she?'hard core' vs 'hard up' vs 'hard sell' vs 'hard court'when do we use although and because?Difference between emigrate, immigrate and migrate?Some man or worman can like to drink large coffe and to eat cream with yogurt..."It's tried and true" vs "It's tried and fast"Phrase: "...about what should be done about immigration?"Meaning of "waited on" and "waited in"What is the meaning of loitering?