averting; avoiding; delaying; inhibiting
preventive
bound
sanitary
corrupt

extraordinary vs extra ordinary

it's fruit / these are fruits | To allow to do or doing?
extraordinary vs extra ordinary #1 (permalink) Tue May 26, 2009 17:49 pm   extraordinary vs extra ordinary

Good morning/evening everyone.
I hope you're all doing very well.
My question is about the word "extraordinary", if it's separated, it gives totally another meaning, it becomes : "Extra Ordinary" which means more than the ordinary.

* She's an extraorinary writer.
*I consider her as an extra ordinary writer.

so, my question is .. do these words also differe in pronounciation?

EndlessHope
EndlessHope

extraordinary vs extra ordinary #2 (permalink) Tue May 26, 2009 21:01 pm   extraordinary vs extra ordinary

This is a hard one EH.

While extraordinary means something outstanding in a positive way, extra ordinary is made of two words.

ordinary: common, regular

extra: more than needed

So that implies to me that it is more ordinary than needed or required. In other words more ordinary than ordinary.
_________________
No comment
Shyone

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
business vs industryMeaning of the word customizeA comical character/ the comical character?How I can understand run and make idiomsWhen to use on, in, and at when writing English?Questions in a restaurant/at a store (2)Could I say 'work report'?how many strokesgift is a verbDifference between to you, for you, for me, to me?There is and there are...Sentence: Motivation to wrok is created by the satisfaction of the individual'sWhat is the meaning of parasise?