to examine; to investigate; to inspect; to scrutinize
stipulate
check
cater
commute

Idiom: Pin you hopes on

what does put forth mean? | Can "wallflower" be used as an idiom? If so, what does it mean?
Idiom: Pin you hopes on #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 27, 2005 23:31 pm   Idiom: Pin you hopes on

Test No. express/advan-3 "Lucky Alex", question 2

He had given in to a longstanding weakness of his and pinned his hopes on the favourite winning the race.

(a) made a wish about
(b) tried his luck with
(c) made a promise
(d) put a lot of faith in

Test No. express/advan-3 "Lucky Alex", answer 2

He had given in to a longstanding weakness of his and put a lot of faith in on the favourite winning the race.

Correct answer: (d) put a lot of faith in
_________________________

What's the meaning of pinned his hopes?

Priscila
Priscila

Pin your hopes on #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:12 am   Pin your hopes on

This means hope very much that something good will happen. Example: Many people pin their hopes on winning the lottery.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: Pin you hopes on #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:44 am   Idiom: Pin you hopes on

Is there any difference between 'pin one's faith on' and 'pin one's hope on'? Also, is the latter alright either with hope or with hopes?

Thank you. haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Idiom: Pin you hopes on #4 (permalink) Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:42 am   Idiom: Pin you hopes on

Two points: the expression is usually 'pin your hopes on' 'Pin you faith on' has more of a religious flavour since 'faith' here suggests there is 'faith' or 'belief' in a religion which makes you optimistic.

_________________

Idiom: Pin you hopes on #5 (permalink) Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:24 am   Idiom: Pin you hopes on

Thank you very much indeed. haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Idiom: Pin you hopes on #6 (permalink) Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:19 am   Idiom: Pin you hopes on

Good morning,

He had given in to a longstanding weakness of his... Does it mean that he used to be a gambler?

Dina
Dina27

Idiom: Pin you hopes on #7 (permalink) Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:20 pm   Idiom: Pin you hopes on

Hi Dina,

Yes, you could regard his 'weakness' as gambling/taking a risk or chance on something happening. The fact however that is a longstanding weakness also suggests that this (weakness) is still with him.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Idiom: Pin you hopes on #8 (permalink) Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:14 am   Idiom: Pin you hopes on

Thanks, Alan! I`ve got the idea. :-) Longstanding means that he continues to be a gambler, and the last sentences of the story convey the same meaning.
Dina27

meaning of 'a loose cannon'how to make polite statements?I want an extra-large pizza with the works. I need help to find the meaning...Help me with these verseshow use latest?In many storybooks, witches cast evil spells onto unsuspecting victims.Isn't going make it to the practice - what does it mean?pilot vs pilots'just bought' vs 'just has bought'My son hit a homerun last night! Wow! Good for him.What is the purpose of a CV?What is the difference between "read" and "red"?Meaing of Let sleeping dogs lie