to cut with a toothed blade
saw
emphasize
harvest
dispense

Difference between listen to and hear

Basic vs. fundamental | reckon vs. realize
Difference between listen to and hear #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:15 am   Difference between listen to and hear

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", question 8

You've been making so much noise with your music that people at the far end of the road can ......... you.

(a) listen to
(b) listening to
(c) hear
(d) hearing

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", answer 8

You've been making so much noise with your music that people at the far end of the road can hear you.

Correct answer: (c) hear

You've been making so much noise with your music that people at the far end of the road can listen to you.
_________________________

why can listen to, instead of hear
vilmixs

Difference between listen to and hear #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:22 am   Difference between listen to and hear

When you use listen to, you are talking about paying attention to something. In this sentence we are not talking about anyone wanting to listen to the music but the music is so loud that you can hear the sound/noise.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Listen and hear what's the difference? #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:10 am   Listen and hear what's the difference?

I was doing the test listen & hear but I couldn't understand quite well the difference between them.

thanks for your explanation : :)
Adrianazografi

Difference between listen to and hear #4 (permalink) Thu Feb 26, 2009 20:16 pm   Difference between listen to and hear

it is exactly like in Spanish (in case you speak spanish) you can hear someone but you don't necessarily have to listen to them ;) isn't it?
Magaly

Difference between listen to and hear #5 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:36 am   Difference between listen to and hear

Magaly wrote:

thanks for the message.
I can understand what you mean but anyway I don't speak any Spanish ...
Adrianazografi

Difference between listen to and hear #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:36 am   Difference between listen to and hear

i did the test listen & hear but i still have confused the defference between them
Suba1

Difference between listen to and hear #7 (permalink) Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 am   Difference between listen to and hear

Let's start again. There are two verbs 'listen' and 'hear'. Both can take an object but 'listen' uses 'to' with an object as in 'listen to music'. These two sentences have a different meaning:

1) I hear music every day from the house next door.

2) I listen to music every day before I go to work.

In sentence (1) you are saying that the sound of music comes to your ears every day because the people next door always have their radio on very loud and although you can't hear exactly which particular piece of music it is, you know it is the sound of music.

In sentence (2) you are saying that you are paying attention to the music on your radio and you know which music it is because you can hear it exactly and you are listening to it.

Hope this helps.

_________________

listen & hear #8 (permalink) Mon Apr 20, 2009 20:43 pm   listen & hear

thanks a lot Alan.
You have been very helpful!
Adrianazografi

Difference between listen to and hear #9 (permalink) Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:10 am   Difference between listen to and hear

hi alan,

Thank u very much for your explanation. it is very helpful for me.

suba
Suba1

Difference between listen to and hear #10 (permalink) Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:23 am   Difference between listen to and hear

Suba1 wrote:
hi alan,

suba

Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for your explanation. It is very helpful to me.

Suba

TOEIC listening, question-response: How long will the special promotion last?

Difference between listen to and hear #11 (permalink) Mon Jun 08, 2009 15:45 pm   Difference between listen to and hear

Hello, Mr.Alan,

It's very clear, like water.

Have a nice day.

The French.
_________________
Do not hesitate to correct me.
The French

Location: France -Normandie

Listen vs. hear #12 (permalink) Fri Jul 10, 2009 19:25 pm   Listen vs. hear

Hi, Torsten

why is it wrong to choose (d) answer ''hearing" instead of hear?.
John1975

Difference between listen to and hear #13 (permalink) Sun Jun 19, 2011 20:10 pm   Difference between listen to and hear

I understand the differnece between hearing n listing
Ssswathi

When don't I use a comma before "because"?Meaning of this phrasewhats the diffrence in the use of articles??can you help me?please,can you look this paragraphand correct itsign in and log inlying down on his bedthrough with vs. finished withdifference between awake and wakeCompound subjectsMeaning of "bear up"Can I say: "I've been so busy" here?Difference between believe and discover