variety; collection; selection; range; mixture
character
assortment
leaflet
slander

Phrase "keeping score at home"

Meanig of "before he didn't leap up" | A question about : tired
Phrase "keeping score at home" #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:49 am   Phrase "keeping score at home"

I saw this phrase in quite a few places ,such as'for those keeping score at home','if you are keeping score at home','for you chemists keeping score at home','The CIA vs.Sen. Graham:how to keep score at home',etc.I suspected it must be an idiom,but just couldn't figure out its meaning.Who can help me?Thanks
Ksguo

keeping score at home #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:20 am   keeping score at home

It means just what it says-- maintaining a physical or mental record of developments/progress/etc.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Phrase "keeping score at home" #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 19:21 pm   Phrase "keeping score at home"

Mister Micawber is correct but I'd like to add a thought or two.

I have no definitive source but I suspect this phrase resonates with people who grew up listening to baseball games on the radio. Keeping score at home was a pastime for a lot of folks and special paper pads were printed up just for this purpose.

The game announcers would often say "for those keeping at home..." and clarify something that transpired in the previous play. E.g. If a runner hits the ball and gets to first base it might have been a single, a defensive error, or a "fielder's choice". Each of which would affect the batter's stats in a different way and would have to be recorded differently if you were keeping score.
Lebowski

Poem: What God has joined together, No human being must separate...meaning: hypervenerateabout that and about it.Pronoun: He did it himself. vs He did it on his own. vs He did it by himself.IF clauseIs this correct?BONY SCOTLANDManual - Entrepreneurial climate in VET schoolsheck's becks?The Alan's text "Learning to teach"Difference between progress and progression"to be" and modals before adverb?"a day before" vs "the day before"